Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Holy Cow

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eStreetTele, Jun 30, 2013.

1. eStreetTele

eStreetTele TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Fairfield, CA
    It just makes me angry...

I don't know why... I just feel like he has them all to say he has them all. He keeps saying 'I think I'm one of the only collectors of...' Like he's bragging about that? I collect tuna cans! I bet no one does that- I shouldn't brag about it!

I had to close the window when he said he had 50 Fender Coronados- and he's still buying them...

Is it just me?

http://youtu.be/9TXqKkcdqCw

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

He's got the money and space so why not?

3. eStreetTele

eStreetTele TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Fairfield, CA
    They're meant to be played... I guess that my only issue.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    We all have opinions -

:eek:)

Even though I may agree with your practical sentiment, I can only control what I do....

6. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    South
    Amazing collector and video!

7. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2009
    Florida
    Seriously, that's just more stuff to dust.

I can deal with less stuff.

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

I remember watching that Billy Connelly route 66 trip....

and seeing that guy's collection... what about all the lap steels?... there was more of them than Coronados...

boggles the mind doesn't it?... ;)

9. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    "One of the only" makes no sense. "Only" means one, as in the only one. You can't be one of one. You can be "one of the few," but not "one of the only." It's one of those phrases that people use wrong all the time.

10. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Jul 23, 2009
    Highland Lakes, NJ
    That guy is probably not married, has no responsibilities and a decent job, hence, plenty of money to spend on the material objects that take the place of the things he doesn't have, like a wife, kids, and all that.

The collections may take the place of those things, but not really. He said himself that he's manic depressive. I think he's a very lonely, bald, overweight, unhappy guy amidst a lot of stuff he's bought to fill the emptiness in his life.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    If those American Pickers ever go there I hope he has some rusty oil cans to sell them.

12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Hes got the space , the money I guess , and the desire........Doesnt bother me in any way. Could be a great investment too , though it would sure take some time getting the money in from sales compared to getting rid other stuff.

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Probably had the same kind of reactions to people who stashed old cheap tin Plymouth muscle cars 40 years ago. I'd sure like to have 3 or 4 Roadrunner wall hangers.

14. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by DrumBob

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

15. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

16. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Nov 11, 2010
    Wolverhampton UK
    I say good on him! Hes doing something he love and keeping and maintaining many pieces of history.

you say all these are meant to be played? well that is true but you dont sign a contract when you buy a guitar to play it.
    I know someone who spends lots of cash on various guitars, cant play a chord but likes them on his walls

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    No reason to be angry... :rolleyes:

Who says what they're meant to do? Maybe they're meant to be collected!

They're just THINGS. They have no consciousness of their own.

In a free capitalist society, if you can afford it, you are free to own it. I'm okay with that.

Could be, but there are plenty of other, more harmful ways a person could fill the emptiness... For example, drugs and alcohol are two perennial favorites. Over-eating is another.

If someone's married with children and only has a couple guitars, who's to say the wife and kids aren't compensating for the lack of a decent guitar collection? ;)

It's all about perspective. People who get angry or look down their noses at others for relatively harmless activities like collecting tend to have their own issues. :idea:

18. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    I can relate. I'm a pipe smoker and have a hundred or so of the things, about twenty of which I actually smoke. Can't bear to part with the others, though. They cost too much to let go of. :oops:

19. laidback

laidback TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2012
    south carolina
    Way off topic, but...

Billy Connelly rules in "Still Crazy"-best rock and roll movie ever!

20. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    The manufacturer makes them to sell. Beyond that,they are not meant to be anything else. Fender would sell you 20,000 custom guitars knowing full well that you were going to put them in a wood chipper.

21. william tele

william tele Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm stymied by the responses that choose to diagnose some emotional issue. A guy can't just collect something for the love of it?

What I see is an incredible number instruments that will survive long into the future and may be worth much in the way of both dollars and history...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.