Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hofner P90

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gibson, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:39 PM.

1. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    Saw a guitar in a secondhand shop that piqued my interest. Hofner on the headstock, with two P90s and a double cutaway—example below.

The store was closed at the time so I'll have to go back to check it out, but if anyone with experience of these models could share their impressions, it would help a lot before I think about spending money/negotiating. Any good?

13506522_1_x.jpg

Tonetele likes this.
  2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Hofner Colorama
    They are offshore (MIK IIRC) from 10-12 or so years ago, they are a decent quality set neck w/ good hard ware. The first version was equipped w/ German made "Hofner Diamond" Pu's and a blend circuit. This version came a few months later w/ "p-90s" that I don't belive are of German mfg. although many claim they are (they also claim the guitars are MIJ.. which I believe is incorrect) They originally came w/ a nice bag ( check the luggage section of the shop or ask, thrifts often sell the bags/cases separately, or stash them away.) Alas they didn't sell well MF blew them out for good prices, they are a nice mid line alternative to a LP Special.. $200+/- would IMHO be a good deal,

3. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 5:08 AM
  4. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    Thank you for the context! The ticket price on the one I saw is a fair bit more than $200+/- (allowing for exchange rates), so possibly not a great deal after all.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Hofner have always made good guitars. My first teacher had an old, solid wood archtop.
    @Gibson you don't tell us your location re postage costs , can't help you there.
    One should remember that all good guitars are not M in USA, MIM , MIJ or Korea. German guitars have been very good for a LOOONG time. Also , look at Dusenberg guitars.

tintag27 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.