Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hitting the right lessons at the right time

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by RCinMempho, Feb 5, 2007.

1. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Tele-Afflicted

It is really, really sweet when you manage to find just the right book or DVD at just the right time.

I've been through lots of stuff. Some has sat unused because it was too complex or maybe just too long a process for me. Others have been good for one or two tricks but were mostly full of stuff I already knew.

But every now and then, you get just the right lessons where it is new stuff that you are actually able to learn, play, and apply. When that happens, it sure is sweet.

I've been working Johnny Hiland's Chickin' Pickin' Hot Licks DVD this weekend. This one is hitting me just right, and I am having a ball. I doubt that it is really any better than several other DVD's I have, but at this point in time, Johnny is just spoon feeding me things and I am eating them up. What's even better is that I understand what is going on (even though he doesn't explain things in depth sometimes).

WHOOO HOOO! It's great when things work this well!

2. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I need to get off my tail. I have a few instructional DVD's, including Terry Downs new one, gathering dust. I tried to install a DVD drive myself in my home computer a few months back, (how hard can it be), and of course, it don't work. Time to suck it up and take it somewhere, thus costing me twice as much as if I had just had a shop do it in first place. I will try to draft off your energy and bestir myself.

3. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

you're plateau-ing again in your playing!...great feeling.

i've been stuck on my current plateau for a few months now-- i'm looking for another light bulb moment myself...

i've always had trouble learning from DVD's-- good on ya.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Tele-Afflicted

This is the first time I've had a DVD push me to a new plateau. It's cool.

I hope it happens again, but of course it will likely be next year.

Leon - I'm still trying to catch up with you. I still haven't finished the Hot Nashville Guitar. But of course I want to buy about five more DVD's already.

6. Kingpin

Kingpin Tele-Afflicted

I find that when I go through old instructional DVDs, books, or lessons, I will invariably stumble upon something that I overlooked--simply because I wasn't ready at the time to grok it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.