Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HipShot Bridge... 3 saddle with thick plate

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tlsmack, Jul 29, 2018.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    [​IMG]
    Anyone tried this one out? Planning a new build and this caught my eye. Modern style thick plate, with 3 brass saddles. Best of both worlds, or just a gimmick? I want a fatter than vintage tone, a little more beef and a little less twang. Using an Alder body and a hot single coil.

Since I have the can of worms half open already...My experience is that thin plates yield greater harmonics, while thick plates push the fundamental to the font, which sounds a little fatter for power chords.

If you have used one, how would you describe the tone vs a vintage bridge?

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-h...ecaster-tele-stainless-steel-chrome-44100-43/

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

upload_2018-7-30_11-36-58.jpeg

Sounds like you want this. This Callaham is .075 inches thick, fatter, less vintage tone.

The Hipshot is so thick, I think it overshoots the mark. The primary advantage of the Hipshot is how you can mix and match the strings, some strung through and some toploaded, and the bottom lip of the plate is far enough removed from the break point that the wire than binds the ball end on is never too close to the barrel. Not even on the lower E string.

To me, the Callaham is a work of art next to the Hipshot.

tlsmack likes this.

3. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    I seem to always strip out one or more of the adjusting screws.

tlsmack likes this.

4. ticklemetele

ticklemetele TDPRI Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    I have the callaham bridge. I love it. I'm not sure it sounds less vintage or less twangy. But Bill does a good job of modernizing the traditional tele bridge. Hope this helps!

tlsmack likes this.

5. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    I also have the Callaham and concur that it sounds fantastic. You can use brass or SS saddles to get different tones

tlsmack likes this.

6. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    For now, I found a low budget solution for my tone quest, with some parts I had laying around. After switching between original block saddles and tusq saddles on my 6 saddle bridge several times, I realized that tusq saddles help smooth out the plain strings, but leave the wound strings a little lifeless. so....

image.jpeg

It ain't purty, but the spikey-ness is gone, and the wound strings still rip! I really can't afford another build, so small mods will keep me satisfied for now. I do want to check out that Callaham should any disposable income ever come my way.

NilsZippo and nojazzhere like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.