HiLo'Tron in Tele neck position?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by caliban335, Aug 11, 2009.

1. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Has anyone tried using a HiLo'Tron in the neck position of a Tele? If so how did it work out and what bridge pickup did you pair it with?

Thanks.

2. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

had a 1966 hi-lo in the neck for a short tour last year -
    loved it - it was sorta beatle-ish

bridge was a 5.7k -

worked great

3. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

I like trons. Jangly, sparkly, shimmery.

4. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I was headed down a TV Classic path, but I'm strongly considering a HiLo instead.

I have a MIM standard with a full sized humbucker in the neck position. It's not working out. I'm starting to think the only way to pair a full sized bucker with a standard (OK, I know there's no such thing; not overwound; not a stacked bucker) Tele bridge pickup is in a Custom where you have separate volume and tone controls.

I'm in no rush and will be thinking it through. Any more feedback will be greatly appreciated.

5. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Consider this. A HiLoTron is really just 1/2 a Filtertron. It is one coil of a Filtertron with a bar magnet under and to the side of the coil, put in a humbucker case. It is not a humbucker, as it only has one coil. HiLos tend to be very clear sounding because they are very low output and single coil. They are great for cleans and twang, but they don't push the front end of an amp and they don't buck the hum. A Filtertron or TV CLassic or a good minihumbucker will also give you good clarity and will match well with a tele bride, with hum bucking. That said, who doesn't love the sound of George Harrison's Gretsch with HiLos?

6. WaywardBluesman

WaywardBluesman NEW MEMBER!

I know it's been almost a year since the last post, but here's my one-and-a-half cents for anyone who's curious. I have a "project" Tele where I use an aftermarket HiLo in the neck. If I remember right, it's a fairly low value - 2.2 or something close. In all honesty, it's made it a very versatile guitar. Switched in the neck position, it's got great tone for jazz and swing, fairly clear but fatter than a normal Tele single coil. By mistake, I wired the HiLo out of phase with the bridge P/U and so it's got a sort of thin, hollow sound in the middle position. Others might disagree, but I love it; it's got a great Freddie King vibe. Both can be kind of trebly, so I upped the tone cap to a .1, which helps a lot. I probably wouldn't recommend it for guys looking for that signature twang, but this guitar is anything but standard. Bridge P/U is just a cheap mighty mite. Good luck!

7. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

I put one in a Jazzmaster. It was a little darker than I would have liked - I had them in both positions, actually. Not as bright as I'd always heard they were.

Anyway, cool pickups.

8. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

talking about digging things up... I'm getting one and was thinking of dropping it in a routed allparts body I have

9. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I have a collection of Cabronitas with various TV Jones pickups in them, including one with HiLo Tron clones. It sounds more single coil that a Filter'tron, so more like a typical Tele neck, where has a Filter'tron in the neck gets it closer to the Gretsch sound overall. If I only had one Cab, I'd stick with the Filter'trons / TV Classics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.