Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hilgen Amps?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by inertian, Apr 11, 2005.

1. inertian

inertian Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Lindenhurst, NY
    A friend of a friend has a 60's Hilgen bass amp he wants me to check out. All tube, maybe 25 watts, 15" speaker (possibly a Jensen). Supposedly it was made by former Ampeg employees in NJ. Has 7951A power tubes.

Anyone have any info on or experience with these? The little I've found online says either its a reasonable Ampeg clone or utter crap. I'm looking for a good sounding low volume home practice/recording amp, figure tubes would give me that old school thump I'm after.

2. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    The Gorge
    Ok - so I know nothing about Hilgen. When presented with an old 25 watt tube amp I have a couple of questions. How much will it cost to refurb ? and Can I afford this thing? I'm a fan of old tube amps. If the Hilgen works and sounds reasonably strong and it's reasonably priced - you'll probably like it.

I wonder if the Hilgen is based on the RCA/Fender style pre or the Baxandall (Ampeg B-15, V4, etc ...)

Maybe the guys at www.fliptops.net would have information ?

3. inertian

inertian Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Lindenhurst, NY
    Here's what I've been told

The amp is all original and fully functional, cosmetically very good. There is some hum at volume, probably a bad tube or cap(s) or such. The owner has played bass thru it and says it sounds strong and consistent, although not terribly loud (again, tubes, electrolytics, stock Heppner speaker may be crap). The tube compliment is: two 12AX7s, one GZ34/5AR4 and two 7591As. I know a few good techs if it needs fixing, and I can do pretty much any structural/cosmetic work needed.

My friend tells me the seller is looking for about $100. Don't think I can go too far wrong for that.

More as it happens.

4. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Heck, you can hardly go wrong for a hundred bucks!

Cheers, Tim

5. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    The Gorge
    I'd be on that like whiite on rice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.