Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hilarious audiophile documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NashvilleDeluxe, May 7, 2017.

1. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-film-audiophiles-in-1959-masterpiece

I can totally see myself mirrored in this 1959 documentary about audiophiles. "Do they love the music, or do they love the equipment?"

And don't pretend your heart didn't skip a beat when they panned to all the "cutting edge" tube amplifiers and discussed ultra linear technology.

2. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I was a boy in the 60's and this was my dad with his reel to reel tapes. I only cringe when I remember all the tube amps we had on his garage work bench. No idea where they all ended up. He's 78 this year and doing alright. I'll ask him when I see him this Mother's Day.

Ricky D. likes this.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I remember having something like this in the house in the mid-60s (don't recall that satellite unit, though):
    [​IMG]

Don't recall my folks actually using it all that much, but we kids sometimes played Herb Alpert and TJB (Whipped Cream and Other Delights!), and jammed along with our collection of maracas, castanets, claves, and guiro.

S00NERMAN, rich815 and brookdalebill like this.

4. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    They are imprinted as a tone standard for you. My dad also had a tube reel2reel in 60's. I liked to listen to guitar singers (often distorted). It was magic for me. The first thing I did to discover the source of magic - perforated the grill and the speaker. Good boy I was. Dad is 83.

Can't see the video.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Back in the late 50s I didn't even know anything other than a scratchy sounding 78 turntable with a little thingy for 45s existed. I went over to a guy's house whose dad was a cop, but his folks were rich compared to anyone I knew, and he showed me their hi fi record player. I felt like the guy in the movie Fire when he saw the woman start a fire on her own. I was overwhelmed at the beauty of the sound. Probably not even close to the sound quality of a telephone with earphones today, but then? Man....

6. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    My folks had a similar unit only no satellite, you could load it up with 4 or 5 LP's and it would play for a couple hours. It was tube and I would estimate something like 10 or 12 watts, nice wood cabinetry.

In retrospect this thing was an enormous influence on me as a child, all the music I was exposed to through my parents peculiar musical tastes, soundtracks for movies like Hatari, and Laurence of Arabia, just a teensy bit of classical that got me curious, my mom liked certain kinds of "guitar music" such as Glenn Campbell and Roy Clark, and then of course there was her Elvis collection.

7. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    my neighbors back in Oakland CA tossed one of those out. No tubes, it was an early transistor model... but it had two very nice original alnico Jensen P12Q speakers.

8. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    When I first moved out of my parent's house to Virginia I rented a house that had one of those cabinet units in it with a whole bunch of old classic rock vinyl. I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours I spent setting records to play at 1/2 speed and figuring out licks straight from the vinyl. Great times!!

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    My dad would be 94. He built tube amps and speaker cabinets. My older brothers let them slip away.

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    loved that footage! thank you:0)

11. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

Started off as a teenager with a transistor radio and a portable record player with the speaker in the lid. I went through the quest for better sound to a point. Built my own speakers, found some better than average components and a good turntable and stylus. Had the AM-FM Blautpunkt radio in the car. The biggest addition to my sound however was a unit that lit green, red and blue colored lights behind an opaque screen, based on the beat and frequency of the notes of the music. I'd turn off the room lights at night, and watch the room change colors in time with and according to the notes in the music. Over time that all faded. Now I mostly listen to songs on youtube with my PC speakers or on the oldies cable TV channel with just the TV speakers. Haven't used my turntable in several years. Just play CD's through the amp and my speakers when we have company.

12. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Cool video, thanks for sharing!

The on-air music critic reminded me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory for some reason.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.