Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Highest Fidelity Jazz Guitar Record Player

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by philosofriend, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM.

1. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Many decades ago my roommate moved out and took his record player. I looked in my pile of junk and pulled out my sister's old JC Penny record player with a crystal cartridge. I hot wired the cartridge straight into my 1953 Gibson 50T amp, a thick dark sounding amp but Gibson's biggest most professional amp when it was made.
    Records played through this system sounded horrible until I put on Joe Pass Virtuoso (the only instrument is Joe's jazz guitar). Suddenly it sounded like Joe was in my living room playing! It was unbelievable how good it sounded.
    The only other record that was fun to listen to was John Coltrane. His fat sax tone came out like a nightmare cross between a saxophone and Howlin' Wolf's voice. It helped make me agree with the folks who say that the most real descendant of Coltrane was Jimi Hendrix.

2. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Ineresting - put a guitar-only record through a guitar amp. Guess what I'll be doing tonight!

3. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    you need to get an old realistic entertainer 34
    REALISTIC_011.jpg

John Owen likes this.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I was playing an mp3 player though my Greta, it has a line input.

I wasn't happy with any of the results though: with the built-in speaker it sounded good and old school, but it lacked bass too much. With my Vox 10" guitar cab it was way louder and had enough bass, but it sounded too modern. And it's not like all the speakers on old gear were tiny, some were pretty big and put out great bass.

cloink50 likes this.

5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Back in the day ( roughly the afternoon, about 4:20) I'd plug the record player into my Twin Reverb and crank that baby up.
    It would blow your hair back.

6. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Isn't there a cut on Hendrix at Woodstock that is just his guitar?
    I can smell the hot dust on the tubes of that radio shack unit.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    There are several reasons why this won't work well with most non-guitar music:

0. Level discrepancies. This is not really a problem because I think turntables have a level similar to guitar pickups. If you want to use an mp3 player/computer/tape player, those normally have a volume control and you should probably turn those down to 1-3. So this is not a problem.

1. If you have a stereo turntable, you need to make a cable that sums both left and right. On 60s records especially, some instruments will be panned hard left and hard right. An RCA to 1/4" stereo plug will not work unless you also put a 1/4" stereo to mono adapter which is hard to find. I have a good one I can't find and I bought a fake one once (wasn't wired correctly).

2. A guitar speaker will sound better for guitar, not so much other stuff. I kept trying to get a good sound with the built-in speaker, but while it has enough bass, the definition is poor and the mix doesn't sound good with any type of music. I eventually tried an Estonia 2 or 3 extension speaker, which is really made for music, and it sounds great. The drums including the bass drum sound like the real thing, the bass guitar is well defined and all the instruments sound clear, I would say 3D in comparison to how it sounded before even though it's mono.
    greta-estonia.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.