Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Higher Powered Greenback options?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gusfinley, Sep 12, 2018.

1. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    I'm looking to increase the power handling of my 2x12 cabinet ( Marshall 1966A)

It currently has a G12M-25 Greenback reissue and a Vintage 30.

I'm rotating out my G12M-25 Greenback and want to replace it with something that sounds similar, but with at least 50 Watts power Handling.

So far my research has led me to the G12M65 Creamback, Lynchback, G12-65.

I'm leaning toward the creamback but am wondering if there are any speakers I am missing out on.

What higher powered Greenback Type speakers do you like?

Thank you!

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Eminence Private Jack has 50 watt power rating and is their answer to a Greenback. I have the CV75 in a JCM800 4210, similar with 75 watt rating and it sounds similar to the GB in my Jubilee.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    From all reports Celestions creamback neo should do the job.
    I haven't used them myself.

4. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I'm using these- they are great sounding speakers (and lightweight)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I have the emi private jack and it’s an awesome sounding greenback clone. It’s probably my favorite speaker for classic British tones.

Definitely check out WGS speakers. They have a clone of the g12-65, the ET65, which I haven’t tried. But they also have a 50 watt greenback clone, the Invader, which you should check out. I have the lower powered version of their greenback clone, the green beret, and it is excellent. In my 2x12 cab, I have the emi private jack and the WGS green beret. The mix is perfect, imo.
    The WGS stuff is top notch.
    https://wgsusa.com/british-invasion-grid

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Nov 3, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    I checked out some comparisons on you tube ( no great ones even ) and the neo does seem to have that "woodiness" that the M creamback is missing. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep looking into it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I agree with both Eminence and the Creamback. The Cream was designed to BE a higher-wattage greenback. And Eminence just because they make great speakers. I actually heard Guthrie Trapp say he had a Private Jack in his Deluxe Reverb.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Creamback, yea (2 vers) and the G12H30 anniv

10. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    150w Celestion Redback

+2 for Scumback.

11. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    any of the 12-65 designated speakers sound much different than a Greenback to me. Too scooped in the mids.

12. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    my 'freak tone" cab for my main rig is an open back seismic 2x12 with 2 greenback reps in a way(i wanted to retain what DSL rear.jpg a greenback does)...35 yr old crate celestion greeine and celestion type V..i have hours & hours of speaker and cab switching and my main rig is that cab & closed 2x12 with v30&gt75..all those speakers together are unreal .. the greenie thing..the v30 & 75 together classic set up ..really make great tone for any genre..any head i put on this is amazing..those 2 greenies with a jmp50 are incredible..if you are looking for a greenback tonal character but want to handle more power those 2 greenies really do it.

13. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Eminence 128GB - Greenback clone, handles 75 watts - no early breakup - 1/2 the price of a Greenback.

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    I really like the tone of the Neo Creamback. Too my ears it sounds too close to the Vintage 30. I think a G12M65 Creamback would compliment the Vintage 30 better....

... Still leaning toward the G12M65 creamback

Here is a great video with a comparison of the Vintage 30 and G12M65 and then with them both together!

Reminds me that the Vintage 30 is a great speaker......

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Creamback 65 on the way...........

Axis29 likes this.
  16. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Except.......... Amazon shipped the wrong speaker. I have to wait another week, now!

17. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    300th post! Yay!

Finally got the Creamback 65 and installed it in Marshall 2x12 along side a Vintage 30. It sounds just like I was hoping.

Now I just need to build that Park 75.......

uriah1 and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.