High Value Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by MrClint, Feb 15, 2019.

1. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

I've used these for many years now and they are excellent. Have no idea what the prices would be these days but I think I paid about $500 for the pair on sale.

2. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I struggled with this. I was worried it was spending a lot of money for hype, and some of it probably is, but buying studio grade speakers changed my life. I know that sounds dramatic but let me explain why. Before I bought them I would mix and remix and remix and remix...15, 20 times because my mixes didnt translate well to other systems. Now I mix once, maybe twice and job done. I was trying to find a balance between price and function. What I ended up with was the Yamaha msp7's. I dont remember what I payed for them but whatever it was it was easily worth it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

I recently purchased a pair of Behringer's K8 monitors for $300. Nice front ported speakers and they were designed by the founder of KRK. If you don't have a sub, I'd go with 8" woofers.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I A/B'd all the ones GC had in stock and thought the Yamaha HS8's had the flattest response, but they're like $700/pair

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Once you’ve got those good monitors and have done a substantial room treatment, what you going to do about your hearing losses. Maybe get your hearing loss curve and set up some EQ to compensate? Jack up the high frequencies you’ve lost?

6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Did the OP say he has hearing loss? I tell you what I do....i put in my old man hearing aids...unless I forget.

7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Everyone has some kind of curve (not flat).

8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Then there’s loudness perception which is frequency dependent.

upload_2019-2-17_9-21-1.png

Attached Files:

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Now I realize I need some studio monitors.

MIA is 1. Small Bluetooth battery powered speaker. 2. TV sound-bar. 3. Cheap PC speakers. 4. Collection of Earbuds.

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Mackie is awesome and the CR series are affordable, but I'm happy with my Presonus. I waited for a demo unit for a good price at Sweetwater.

11. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

No matter what speakers you have it is worth experimenting with their placement in the room. Most speakers sound better with some air around them. Not sitting on a big flat table, not up against a wall on the side or the back.

Then if you look at any flat surface (wall, ceiling, floor, table top) that could reflect sound from the speaker to your ear you want to treat it with rockwool sound insulation (very good) or cloth and/or soft foam (good luck). To find those reflection spots have an assistant hold a mirror against the surface, if you can see the speaker in the mirror while sitting in the magic mixing chair, treat the surface.

Finally, the more air in the room the better, so take all the random junk out of the studio room and store it somewhere else. You will be surprised what a difference this makes.

Get some recorded music that you know has great stereo effects, for example Hendrix's studio albums or anything from the Digido website's "Honor Roll" list. When you sit in the mixing chair the music should be an intoxicating experience where the instruments have clean separate locations in the room.

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I'd recommend checking out Kali Audio LP6's or LP8's.

MrClint likes this.
  13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

In a cramped space where your speakers are close to your front wall, you might want to look at front-ported rather than rear-ported ... otherwise you might end up in a quagmire of low-end mud.

Alamo and Greggorios like this.
  14. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

My KRK Rokit 5s get me decent mixes, although they are a little heavy on the bass.

15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Meaning that you underestimate the bass in your mixes or the other way around?

chulaivet1966 likes this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

It’s more overestimating the lower frequencies and under estimating some of the higher ones. Some headphones with a hyped top end can sound a little shrill as the monitors round things off a bit. But I think you need to learn the peculiarities of any monitor from what I understand, especially cheap ones.

17. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Precisely — it's just like getting accustomed to a new guitar, a new car or whatever. Over time, you know it like the back of your hand, regardless of quality or cost.

18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

The difference though, is that your mix will sound different in every other listening situation there is....a car, a home stereo, a boom box, crappy pc speakers, random headphones. That is the puzzle I cannot unlock.

19. boop

boop Tele-Meister

There is a speaker type I'm interested called a grotbox. The industry revered one was made by a company called Auratone(I think there is a repro now). It is not a nice sounding speaker, but it accentuates the mids and doesnt reproduce highs and low very well. All the critical info of a song is in the mids and its what all systems will reproduce, so if a good mix can translate onto this little crappy speaker, it will reproduce OK on virtually any other system. In a way it forces to mix for the "least common denominator". A few companies make versions of these. I'd really like one...

20. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

That's why your monitors and monitoring environment need to be as neutral and flat as possible. You cannot mix for all the different hifi systems, PCs, car stereos etc and different listening environments that are out there. but the deficiencies you hear should be deficiencies in the consumer system not the recording.

In other words, if listening on, for example, a boombox with hyped bass and tinny top end, your mix should sound as hyped and tinny as a well mixed professional recording does on that same boombox.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.