High Powered Tweed Twin Amp - anyone played through or owned one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CV Jee Beez, Mar 31, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I mean, it's a twin, it's LOUD.

2. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Big old agree from me. Tweed clean is a whole different thing from BF clean. Tweeds aren't "sparkly" like a black/silverface.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Tweed cleans are more cutting and dare I say Brutish!

Axis29 likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

His amps are up full but his guitar volumes are usually turned down.
    When he turns the guitar volumes up near full, he probably mutes the strings quite a bit, as opposed to bashing out power chords with everything up full.
    This way, at least for me, the guitar plays itself, and you more mute to stop strings rather than pick to start them.
    You can get that note bloom where the volume increases with just a very light hammer on or brush of the pick, but you can also get it with volume turned up higher than the actual volume you want to hear, and then you reign in the strings to your chosen loudness.

He probably is indeed loud, but not like players who set the amp volume for the volume they want to hear.

I don't actually follow his work but those are basic techniques for controlling your loud amp from your guitar controls.
    If you don't use that technique it might seem crazy to turn a big amp up all the way...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Axis29 likes this.
  5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Victoria Low Powered twin, 50w. I just remember it as one of the many amps I bought and sold. If you're going for a super clean sound might be a good choice.

6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I first read that as "British", which, seeing that the JTM45 is basically a 5F6A with a 12 AX7 in V1, is kinda true.

7. telemnemonics

Yeah kind of a language ripoff, stole British from the Brits like they (Jim) stole the Bassman from Leo, and made it into Brutish, since that's what those amps are, compared to what Leo was building after circa '64.

Ah well, Leo thought that old circuit was dead, a thing of the past, so he didn't want it any more anyhow...

Leo sure got that one wrong!

...Course, Jim probably had no idea his little amp shop would one day rule the world of Rock guitar...

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

What about the earliest Tweed Twin, the wide-panel 5C8/5D8 25W version? How does that compare?

9. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio TDPRI Member

I borrowed a friend's HPT several years back, he had JBLs in it! Loudest amp ever! If you're wanting to get any grunt out of it, forget it. I have a low power '54 now and it's too loud for most stuff.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

So you have a 5C8/5D8 25W version?

11. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't know, sorry. Never played one. At 25watts it would be a more manageable amp I would think.

12. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

I love all tweeds! They're user friendly. Plug straight in, crank it, and ride your volume knob.

13. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon TDPRI Member

I have. Its great. Much better tone than the twin reverb, and not obscenely loud like the TR.

14. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

I have a 90s Bassman reissue that I've been fiddling with forever.. Hoffman board, mercury magnetics OT.. Tons of speaker combinations but nothing magical. Procured a used Bluesbreaker cab and mounted the bassman chassis in it .. Running 2 8 ohm greenbacks in it, its a great sounding combo, even with the slight impedance mismatch. With pedals, the perfect amp for me right now (I've owned a ton of them). My little experiment was motivated as a result of watching a YouTube vid of Keef's HPTT. .

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  15. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

I’ve owned 2 Victoria 80212, first one wasn’t all that loud. Second one was brutally loud and it now belongs to my bassist. That amp has Jensen P12N’s and it sounds awesome, but a bit sometimes the top end can be a bit bitey. Low end is phenomenal and mids are pretty good.

Now I have a Louis Electric Twinmaster 80 watt head. I run it through Jupiter 12LA’s, Celestion Classic Lead 80 or Scumback M75’s.

I had Louis custom voice it for my Nocaster, so that it thickens up really quickly. Lows are chest thumping, highs are silky and smooth and the midrange is simply magical. It sounds phenomenal even at 2. It’s very very loud at 5.5 and above. It takes pedals great and Lou put his “dampening control” which controls NFB on the amp. This can bring in more gain and thickness at lower volumes.

Literally any gig can be played with one. With the beefy transformers and the wonderful balanced EQ it may really be the best amp ever.

High Head Brad and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.