Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

High E string too close to edge of fretboard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Nov 10, 2012.

1. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

how do you mean?... from the edges or overall?..

. you'll find the E-e spacing at the nut end is a lot narrower than E-e at the bridge end, on fenders..... the strings wedge out along the neck a fair bit from parallel.. some bridges more than others..

if you moved both outer E's at the nut in by a mm... it would only bring the E's in 1/3 mm at the 21 st fret.... not much...

a few mms in at the bridge saddles though.. would bring the strings in more at fr 21....

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    We need a pic of the bridge saddles now?

The strings must pass over the centre diameter of the bridge pickup poles for correct alignment.

3. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Here's a pic of the bridge. I tried taking a closer picture, but taking a closer range shot seems to distort the angles. Hopefully you can zoom in on the picture.

To my eyes, the strings align with the pole pieces. The saddles are the ones that came stock.

As an added bonus, you can see my toe in the reflection on the guitar.

Attached Files:

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A MIM Standard is consigned to a bit wider spacing with either new or old bridges, by virtue of the location of the through holes. Vintage Style Strats especially, but vintage style Teles, too, are inherently stuck with a heel that is simply not wide enough. It wasn't designed right. Mr. Fender fixed this when he developed the G + L line of guitars.

Since you're basically stuck on the saddle end (at least with a fixed-six saddle design) you have to do all the remediation at the nut end. I see this all the time as I walk the racks in the store. The string to edge spacing is borderline excessive at the nut, is optimal in the middle of the neck and the strings are too darned close to the edge I say above the 12th fret. If the string is close at the nut, you have a string you can't use anywhere along its length, the worst of all worlds IMO. What good is uniformity if it is too close the entire length?

This is just one of 100 reasons I prefer the barrels. You can manipulate the string array just a hint, and get by better.

5. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    I'd think about a change to threaded barrels? and a new nut.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Calipers

Mindflayer, do you have access to some calipers?

If you could check the width of this neck along certain points, we could establish whether maybe the guys in Ensenada went overboard when they finish sanded this neck. If this is one of the skinniest ones they did, a "normal" nut might look a bit like this in use.

Either way, once the nut is replaced, consider replacing the 6 saddle bridge with a 3 barrel style. That way, you can custom set the array at the saddles. If the neck is of normal width, you could buy some Marc Rutters eccentric slotted saddles; they'll give IMO an optimal spacing of the strings along the edge.

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    The pic is a bit small but from what I can make out, the strings do pass over the poles, thus the bridge unit is in the right place even if the PG is a bit gappy.

This may be an occasion where the 41mm "import" nut may be needed. Fender/Squire nuts are usually 43mm or 42mm. Me, I'd fashion a nice custom bone one from a completely blank blank.

If the dusty end were still out after that, then I'd worry about swapping out the bridge plate and saddles, with attendant problems of screw/hole location. There are other 6-saddle options available for that type of bridge incl "threaded" barrels for custom string spacing.

Boris has it with that neck and the callipers, there is something odd going on there.

8. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    Resurrecting an old thread I know...but for anyone googling this in the future who finds it of interest, I had exactly the same problem with a new AV 52 tele recently. Solved after a new bleached bone nut cut and installed by a good luthier.

No doubt the issue was exacerbated by the 42mm (rather than 42.8mm as per USA models) nut width and rolled edges on my AV.

I also put pre-grooved, compensated brass Gotoh saddles on to stop the strings slipping at the bridge but main problem was the nut, no doubt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.