Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

High E string too close to edge of fretboard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Toxic Tom

Toxic Tom Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    England
    That looks like a very strange problem. You can definately see the nut is off.

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Thats new news to me.

In that case there are 1,000,000 or more Fenders that need to be returned to have the nut cut right under warranty.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know how to do a poll but it would be interesting to hear just how many people wound up with a nut that was miss cut as extremely bad as this one. I'll admit that factory nut is usually cut shallow but not this obviously wrongly spaced.

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    yeah that is way too close on both sides. should be more like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the bridge spacing looks too wide for that neck .... that's my guess..

both E's look too close to the edge at 21 fr.... (as well as the mis cut nut )...

what sort of saddles are on it?.... a bridge pic would be handy...

6. Mark Davis

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    From my personal experience I have bought 27 new Fender products 15 MIM's 4 CS models 4 regular production USA models some MIJ's and 2 CV's.

Out of thise 27 3 needed no work at all and all the others required new nuts and setup work.

The 3 that needed nothing were.

2004 MIM 50's Classic Esquire I sold to Tdot a member here

2008 CV50's

2010 CVC

7. surfoverb

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    my USA, Plek'd Gibson came with a poorly cut nut. :rolleyes:

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think maybe the most botched ones, they ought to replace under warranty.

But I agree, FMIC could lose tons of money if everyone who was not satisfied with theirs, could get a replacement as a matter of course.

+

Sometimes I think I am sloppy, buying guitars maybe many others have already passed over. But with the exception of the one Baja with a weirdly narrow string array at the nut, and Squiers (which always need a new nut), I've gotten just one guitar after another after another after another where the nut was salvageable and the spacing was fine. I am picky; I can't tolerate the slot too close to the edge and I won't buy one of those.

9. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

To me, it looks like the high e and b strings are further apart than the other strings. It's a nut slot issue plain and simple. I'd get it fixed under warranty if you like the guitar otherwise. Or play some other ones and find one that suits you and swap it out.

Incidentally, the low E, A and D strings are oddly spaced. Simple fix.

[​IMG]

10. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2012
    houston
    think you need to adjust your style to suit the guitar maybe? are you going to let something like that stop you? no guitar does it all cept the one chuck norris had custom made

11. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking some dealers/techs may be doing what they think is the 'right' thing.

12. Mark Davis

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    [​IMG]

This CV looks ok just like the one Surfoverb posted. If they can do it right on a $300 guitar why cant Fender do it right???

13. Mark Davis

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    [​IMG]

Just take this albun into a store and say this is my problem. LOL

14. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Lol!

15. trev333

getting back to this pic.... the saddle spread makes the strings too wide at this end... the nut wouldn't cause a spread like this.... :confused:

was the wider spaced bridge put on this one?... or have the strings slipped out to the grub screws?...

[​IMG]

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Surfoverb is right. Nut seems badly cut- get it replaced for free- it is , afterall, a production fault.

17. trev333

Show us your nuts,lol...:twisted:

the dusty end should be closer to this...;)

the bridge saddle spacing would effect the spread near the base more that a nut being a bit off.. it's 21 frets away...;)..

Attached Files:

18. surfoverb

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    but the spacing is the same at both ends. Look at the spacing at the first fret E/e, not the nut.

19. surfoverb

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    gratuitous Gibson nut shot :eek:

[​IMG]

20. surfoverb

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    could be worse if the edges were rolled

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.