Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hide mistake

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by vinceg, Jul 6, 2018.

1. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    During neck building I have make a mistake that I've repaired. Now, how can I hide with finish?
    I like this wood color, but if necessary I can mix dye on clear coat. I do not know what color.
    Please, can you give me some advice?

neck.jpg

2. Nice fix!
    It will probably never be totally invisible unless you go with a really dark shade. I would seal it first and then slightly darken the neck with whatever shade desired and airbrush the wood around the fix to the same shade. If you don't have an airbrush you can tune your spray gun down to narrowest setting and lightest mist.

If you don't seal it first the 2 different grains will likely absorb the dye differently and make the patch stand out more.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    I've already seal the neck. But I do not know which is the best thing to do. Should I mix dye with clear coat? If yes, what dye colour ?

4. Yes, you can mix your die with clear coat. For dye coats I use about 70% lacquer thinner to 25% clear lacquer. Mix it much ligher shade than your desired end color to sneak up on the color you want with multiple passes. Spray dry coats rather than gloss.

Color really depends on your end color goal. If you want more traditional fender maple neck tint I spray light layers of amber dye until desired tint.

Practice on a spare piece of wood of the same type. And above all...have fun!

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Nice save.
    Looks like mahogany?
    A reddish brown or even medium brown might help hide that. But I have to agree with Eric, I'd go in the scheme of the guitar's finish.

6. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    Yes, it is Honduras mahogany. I also think a reddish brown or medium brown mix in satin clear coat.
    I do not agree with 70% thinner. Usually I use two component polyuretanic finish with that I mix with about 10% thinner

DrASATele and eallen like this.

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ

8. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Sometimes the best way to hide a mistake is let it visible... The patch is so well made, simply don't worry about it.

Anyway, agree with the reddish brown dye mixed with the clear.

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    ^^^^This. Expect to live with it.

Or just purchase lacquer toners. Some professional paint stores stock dozens of Mohawk's toners in varying levels of transparency, plus touch-up pens I've used after de work to hide wood defects.

It's rare that a defect like that will be invisible unless you simply use an opaque finish.

vinceg and eallen like this.

10. Reddish or medium brown are great on mahogany.

I would agree on your poly mix not being 70%. It is just my personal preference for dying under nitro lacquer. The only reason I put any lacquer in it at all is to give it some body so it doesn't just set on top.

Eric

vinceg likes this.

11. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    I am very confused and I am afraid of making other mistakes. Honestly, what would you do in my place?
    Considers that lacquer toners are not available in my country (Italy). I should order in USA, pay the customs fees and risk that the product does not go well. I have already spray base coat polyuretanic.

12. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    You are not really obligated to use "real toners". You can use paint in the color you want (*), mixing it in the clear with a low proportion. Just pay attention to the fact that the mix will be more opaque than if you use a transparent toner, so you'll have to compensate that with the number of coats. Of course, once you have reached the color you want, you could apply pure clear coats over the surface until get the thickness you want.

(*) if you'll use 2 components PU, you can use polyester paint as a toner, they mix very well.

Anyway, do a search on Sayerlack catalog, it's a brand available in Italy that produces toners intended for PU and nitrocellulose clears.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    eallen likes this.

13. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I had to look twice to find it. Nicely done.

14. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    What did you have to look for?

15. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    You mean to color the transparent not with the dye but with pigment? In this case In this case I would get a solid color finish?

16. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    You can use a little pigment (if you can find it), but less than you'd do, usually, for a solid color. Or even paint (as example, mix a little, 10 or 15% brown lacquer on clear lacquer). The result is the same.

Sure it will be solid if you apply to much. You have to apply a few thin, diluted coats to stay transparent. Then, apply pure clear to thicken the finish.

That's exactly the same method that could be used to get butterscotch or blonde finish, just with a different color.

Try on a piece of scrap wood to get the way!

vinceg likes this.

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    His "mistake"?

Not sure I was seeing anything out of the ordinary. I see a small patch of darkened wood that looks like nothing to me. I'd assumed he did something there. The op is kind of vague & im on a phone.

vinceg likes this.

18. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    When I read the caption "hide mistake" my first thought was to link the thread arguing rent vs own grinder/chipper w/ dark Fargo undertones. . .

Actually, the patch looks pretty good.
    Time (and u.v. damage) will eventually make a difference, if it shows up.
    And artful repairs are part of an instrument's "story", its provenance.
    Peace - Deeve

vinceg and El Tele Lobo like this.

19. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    Ok, I get it. Thanks!

20. vinceg

vinceg Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2010
    italy
    It was a damage caused by router during neck shape. I solved by creating this patch with a concave gouge

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.