Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hide glue over paint?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jsnwhite619, Oct 1, 2017.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm working on a cabinet that I plan on tolexing. I painted the inside and the corners with flat black, brush-on latex paint to help hide any gaps & match the tolex, then after it dried, I wondered if I had just messed up. Will the paint create any issue with hot hide glue bonding the tolex to the cabinet?

Thanks

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It depends on how well the paint adheres. Hide glue shrinks as it dries and cools, which pulls wood together in joints and pulls tolex down onto a surface. If the surface is unsound it will come apart.

Press duct tape tightly down on the paint - rub it down with something smooth and hard - and pull it off, across itself at a sharp angle if possible. that will tell you how loose the paint is and may remove most of it if you're lucky. If removal is extensive but random I think it should be scraped off. A Cabinet scraper should make quick work of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.