Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hi from Norway! What’s this stuff on my neck?

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Dan Country, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    It is a shim, nothing to worry about. You could just carefully trim it away with a hobby knife if it bothers you.

Dan Country likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I meant to ask what part of Norway? I spent about 8 months in a tent outside of Narvik in the early '90's. Made it down to Hell and Trondheim a few times as well. Beautiful country and great people, but I will never understand why you guys hate peanut butter so much? I remember trading it for some squid paste and the person was dry heaving over the peanut butter. Felt like I was in bizarro world while I ate the squid paste.

3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Oh, no it was a chunk missing from anywhere but the guitar itself... probably some worker has forgotten the scrap there...

Dan Country likes this.
  4. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    Welcome aboard!

Dan Country likes this.
  5. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's probably just mojo dripping out.
    Enjoy it

TokyoPortrait and Dan Country like this.
  6. Dan Country

Dan Country TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2019
    Scandinavia
    It looks more like resin than a wooden shim. I haven’t looked any closer though, but if it ain’t broke...

Finck likes this.
  7. Dan Country

Dan Country TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Cool, The nature and mountains make for great camping when it’s warm enough. I live in Bergen, but am from Australia (where we love peanut butter). Trondheim is nice too, and you’re right, there are some funny sandwich spreads here :)

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Bergen is a very scenic area, you chose well....oh the stories I could tell about that Country.

Dan Country likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    It looks like the tip of a white guitar pick. I wonder if someone has used a pick as a shim? When I buy a new bolt on neck guitar I take the neck off and clean the pocket up with a little fine sand paper, then reattach it snugging the screws up when the string tension has forced the neck into the pocket as snug as possible. It adds maximum sustain and transference from neck through the body.

Dan Country, Finck and Milspec like this.
  10. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    ^^ this ^^

I also like to do it. Specially on guitars finished with poly. It's very frequent that the companies mask the pocket, apply the thick poly clearcoat, and let behind a kind of step on inner borders of the pocket, which doesn't allow a perfect fit of the neck.

Dan Country likes this.
  11. Dan Country

Dan Country TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Maybe I’ll be brave enough to try this at the first string change :) what grit? Are you using a little sanding block as well?

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    Guys...he's in Norway. Its Lefse. Makes great shim stock!

Welcome!

Milspec and Dan Country like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I use p400 wet/dry paper dry with a small piece of wood for a sanding block. Small enough to move around in the pocket without getting caught up on the sides. There is usually a high spot along the paint line and more than likely the wood in the pocket isn't smooth and dead flat. I just use the paper to get the pocket cleaned up, dead flat and smooth so the neck can seat really well in the pocket. After reattaching the neck only snug the screws tight when the string tension has pulled it back into the pocket as far as it will go. You might hear a noise when it seats in tight.

If you notice you need to alter the pocket a lot removing a lot of material then you will need to adjust the setup on the guitar to compensate for the changes. More than likely though it won't need much alteration in the pocket. Just removing high spots of paint and stickers if any.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Dan Country likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.