Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HH 5 way wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StevenHermanson, Jan 2, 2016.

1. StevenHermanson

StevenHermanson TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to put a fender 5-way switch on a jagmaster with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, 1 volume pot and 1 tone pot. I can't seem to find a good diagram for exactly what I'm trying to do, and if I try to work it out myself my head might explode.

If anyone has a diagram to help out I'd appreciate it. I'm not 100% sure what specific configurations I want, so whatever you got I'll give it a try, and maybe later on I can tweak it.

Thanks a lot
    Stephen

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You'll be a little bit confined to your options with that switch. What pickup selections are you wanting?

3. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    IMG_2129.jpg

I was thinking something like this. I also have an on/off switch installed on the guitar that I had been using for a coil tap, so i guess that could add an additional option, but I'm planning to just make it a killswitch.

I'm not expecting anybody to sit down and draw me a diagram (unless you want to, of course :D). I found an Ibanez diagram that seemed like the right options, but the wire colors were odd and it used a switch with in-line lugs, instead of the alternating two-side fender kind. I tried it but it didn't work right.

4. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    2H_5WSPL_1V_1T.jpg

I found this but looking at it, I have no clue what options I'm gonna get from it, so I'm a little reluctant to try it. Those two unused lugs on the top right make me wonder if it would actually be getting all the possible sounds. But I don't really understand how these switches work, so this may be exactly what Im looking for...

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No coil taps with that diagram. EDIT: I'm wrong, see my post below.

You're going to need a 5-way super switch. If you have no aversion to that, I'll draw you a diagram.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

6. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    I was just coming to that conclusion myself :(

Thanks for the offer for a diagram, but there's aton of them out there for the super switch so I'm sure i can find what I need. I just thought I could make it work without ordering a new switch.

Just for the sake of my curiosity, I saw somewhere that you can get the three standard positions (N,NB,B) plus one coil tap with the standard 5 way. If that's the case, could I get two coil taps by adding the separate on/off switch that's already on the guitar?

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, you've specified more than a simple Neck tap. You want north coil, south coil, and both coils (in series I assume).

If you didn't care about specific coils, this diagram should do the trick. In positions 1, 2, 3, it's standard B, B+N, N. Then positions 4 and 5 are identical: N(1) only.

Attached Files:

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I didn't look closely enough at that SD diagram. Yes, it offers coil taps.

I'm calling the separate coils 1 & 2, not north and south, for simplicity and remaining generic. So, in each humbucker, if the negative lead from coil 1 is hard grounded, then:

1 B
    2 B+N
    3 N
    4 N(2) + B(1)
    5 B(1)

9. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    Thanks moosie, that actually looks pretty good. And I think I'll add in that other on/off switch I have as a shunt/split option on the bridge. I don't really have a burning desire to have everypossible option, I just thought I was going to have 5 spaces to fill. This whole switch change is basically because I didn't like the 3 way toggle that was on the guitar before.

10. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Since I didn't specify north or south, you could arrange for position 4 to be either the inner two coils, or the outer two. But you can't choose both that, AND which coil is active in position 5. I'm thinking you might hear the difference between the two position 4 variants, where position 5 tapped is going to sound not too different either way. Guessing.

11. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    So these are the options I will get from following the SD diagram exactly? Or are you implying modifications to it? Sorry, I'm in a little over my head here :oops:

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/humbucker-wire-color-translation

The way SD has drawn this, and according to their color chart, what they call "north" is what I'm calling coil #2.

So, if you were to follow their diagram exactly, color codes included, position 4 would be Neck-north in parallel with Bridge-south. Position 5 would be just Bridge-south.

Okay, but where is "north"? According to their color table, the south coil has the adjustable pole pieces. According to their wiring diagram, the south coils are to be on the outsides, just like on a Gibson.

So, to translate the above paragraph, if you follow the diagram exactly, and orient the pickups as shown, position 4 will be the Neck inner coil in parallel with the Bridge outer coil. And position 5 will be the Bridge outer coil only.

But let's say you wanted position 4 to have both outer coils active. You could leave the Bridge colors as shown, and swap the Neck pairs. Instead of black=hot, green=ground; and red & white together, you would use red=hot; white=ground; and black & green together.

Clear as mud?

13. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    Haha yeah I think I can work with that. Thanks :D

14. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    update

I wired it up just like the Seymour Duncan diagram, except I swapped the wires on the neck pickup, and it works great. I'm getting 5 distinct sounds and I cant imagine I would need more.

Thanks for all the help,
    Stephen

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yay! Don't you love it when a plan comes together. :D

16. StevenHermanson

Aug 15, 2015
    Sumter, south carolina
    It's the original Duncan Designed humbuckers that came on the guitar. Apart from that I don't know much about them.

Attached Files:

17. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    Hello! Sorry to bring it up this post but I don't want to make a new one for the same SD diagram.

So this are the options of the SD wiring diagram, that uses a normal 5 way switch.

I'm just curious about the position 2: the B + N is in series or parallel ?

18. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If I wrote B+N, then it's parallel. I'll usually write it as B>N if series, listing them in order from ground>hot.

So, parallel. And position 2 of course being closer to bridge than headstock. Like the way Fender notates the switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.