Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hey Vizcaster?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by The Ballzz, Jul 31, 2017.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hi Sir,
    I've seen/read that you use waterborne Target coatings almost exclusively, EM6000 in particular. Are these waterborne products tough on spray guns and are different guns required than one would use for solvent based nitro, like Mohawk Classic Instrument Lacquer? Different needle/nozzle size? I thought I'd read that waterborne stuff can be abrasive, or some such, to spray guns. I'm also assuming that once a gun gets used for either waterborne or solvent based, it should never be used for the other?

The reason I ask is that I recently made a somewhat extravagant purchase of a new Iwata "LPH-80-124G" spray gun that I intended for lacquer use only, and I don't want to screw it up.

On the other hand, I've used that Target product in the past for some household items and was not concerned about what it might do to my cheaper Harbor Freight guns, so....... I did really like the Target product.

Thanks For Any Reply,
    Gene

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Hey thanks for thinking of me, but I'm just a weekend warrior like the rest of them. I don't have any concern that would require a different gun for different products. My only precaution is that i do clean the gun after a day's work without letting it sit overnight the way you might do with solvent based lacquer. If it hardens in the nozzle you can't just use solvent to soften it out.

The waterbased coatings can pit the shine off of aluminum parts like the cup, although it does not affect the performance of the tool. Most quality guns have stainless steel "wetted" parts like the siphon, fluid passages, etc. And your white plastic top-cup will not be an issue at all.

After cleaning the gun, I drop the nozzle and air cap into some denatured alcohol or acetone. Sometimes when that sits overnight I get some cloudiness that suggests there was some residue on the parts.

Since you're going to be using soapy water to clean the gun, the final rinse will be with alcohol or acetone to make sure things are dry. In your case with a gravity-fed gun there simply isn't much to worry about. Sipon-fed bottom-cup guns are much more difficult to clean because you need to get a brush up into the large pickup tube and more complex fluid passage in the body of the gun.

As for needle/nozzle sets it looks like your kit comes with 1.3/1.5/1.8 which will cover almost everything (it's not necessary to thin Target EM600 or WVX) including heavier bodied material like grain filler. Theoretically you can use something smaller for spraying water or alcohol based dye stains but I generally wipe them on or mix them into a color coat anyway. Those tip sizes are more than enough for me but you need to compare apples to apples because I use an HVLP turbine kit not a conversion gun off of a compressor. For my Porter Cable detail gun (compressor driven, top cup) I use the 1.3 or 1.8. Don't compare what size tip anyone is using on a siphon-fed cup gun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.