Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hey MJ Harnish ... followup to Fulltone 69 on old TDPRI

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by halouis, Mar 16, 2003.

1. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Virginia

howdy MJ. I saw your reply on th eold page and figured we could continue the thread here if you wanted.

ANYHOW Yeah I am a dirt box Stomping fiend. have a few. I love my VIntage RAT, but used more as a Marshall-esque distrotion. not too fuzzy. I liketo keep the gain down or it gets too cpmressed and lifeless for my preference. I would like a USA big Muff as well, and may have one coming along. My old bass playter had the russion Ri of it and Iliked it quite a bit. so yeah i wanna try one too. let me know what you think.

i used to have a VL Bossotne and a VL superfuzz. those are super agrresssive huge amounts of Fuzz on tap, but very different from thre 69. I THey were both very noisy boxes, but I wish I stiull had at least one of them. Very cool boxes though.

the filltone 69 has mor ethan enough fuzz for me, but I set it with the fuzz all the way up. basicallys Mike FUller's Hendrix setting. But you gotta have your amp being pushed hard already as well. need some natural amp overdrive happening for the 69 to reall work some magic.

2. Roel from Holland

Roel from Holland Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Den Haag, Nederland
    Yep, that's true. If you put the 69 in front of an overdrive you can really get extreme fuzz-sounds...although this varies from overdrive to overdrive.
    An overdrive in front of the 69 is quite special as well...less usefull...quite extreme....almost sounds like a Z Vex pedal to me :D

3. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Hattingen, Germany
    Cool... I figured this thread was pretty dead when the new board went up.

Your description of the '69 sounds like how mine behaves so I suppose it's functioning fine. My worry was that it got somehow fried during my trans-Atlantic move (it spent nearly 2 months on a cargo ship). Germanium transistors are pretty fragile.

I'm still tweaking the Russion BMP I picked up on Evilbay :twisted: I'm trying to smooth out the sound a bit and decrease the background noise level. The pedal is pretty poorly built (the pots suck) but for the price I can't really complain. I also have a Boss DS-1 sitting on the bench waiting to be modded (I'm going to try the Keely seeing-eye mod on it).

The RAT mods I did sound very good IMO: The noise level is lower and the tone control has more of a useable range (at least for me). I also increased the minimum gain settings so the pedal still produces sound with the gain all the way down.

I've owned a lot of distortion pedals over the past few years; I'm really more of a cheap pedal guy than a boutique collector b/c spending $200+ for a tubescreamer knock-off just doesn't appeal to me. About 4 or 5 years ago, Ebay was an AWESOME place to pick up Boss pedals cheap: I'd buy a pedal (many in new condition) for $25-40 and if I didn't like it I could resell it directly on Harmony Central for the same price (a few pedals I actually made money on).

From Boss I've owned: DS-1 (3 of them at 3 different times :rolleyes: ), SD-1, OD-2R, PW-2, HM-2, MT-2, XT-2, FZ-2. Of all those, I only still have the DS-1 (just picked one up; again...) I'm on the hunt for a BD-2.

I've also owned a bunch of DODs, which almost all universally sound crappy. The one exception was the "classic tube" which sounded remarkably good especially for the price (I paid $15 for a nearly new one on Ebay).

Right now I'm sort of tweaking my current pedal set-up, trying to decide on which ones will make my live rig. I've got about a dozen "candidates" but haven't had the opportunity to hold a real "audition" yet. :)

4. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Virginia
    Yeah I can never get tired of dirt boxes. so manyh flavors. I cant even imagine a RAT getting bette,r but have been tempted by the mods to it, but it remains stock.

i'd love to try a tonebender type fuzz too, but am holdingoff on gear purchases unless somethign comes along thats too good to be true.

a RAT at $45-50 used is still; the best box out there in my opinion.

5. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Hattingen, Germany
    I would agree that the Rat is a great bargain.

I also have had a 3-knob Tonebender on my list to build for a while. I have the transistors (selecting the transistors is the key to making that circuit, as well as the Fuzzface, sound good) already. I just have to find the time to make the PCB and put together the box.

My problem is that I've got too many projects in the queue at the moment... I'm in the middle of building a new amp (which is taking forever b/c I only have about 3 hours per week to work on it), in addition to my pedal experiments. Once this batch of projects is done I'm going to spend more time playing and less time tinkering... at least for a while. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.