Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hey Elec Power Techies

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by klkampman, May 14, 2018.

1. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    I have a question about powering up my pedals.
    When I got up to 3 pedals I bought a cheap Rowin Mini Power block. Advertised as isolated but I knew it wasn't when I bought it, but a cheap way to get going.
    Everything worked fine, but I now have 6 to 7 pedals I'm experimenting with and noise is starting to be an issue. I only use the MiniPower for 2 or 3 low draw OD pedals, I have a Strymon wallwart that came with my Deco I use with that, and I have a 1spot. I have been switching it up to find the cleanest power.
    The worst offender isnmy OBNE Haunt Fuzz, expectedly. Different power supplies make different noise. Anyways, instead of the wallwart Rowin included to power up the Power bank, I plugged my 1spot into the block instead and makes considerably less noise. The Rowin and 1spot have slightly different current ratings, (both are 9v center neg 1000+ma) and seem to power the block fine with 2 or 3 pedals. Is this safe?
    Also, all my wallwarts/power brick are plugged into the same power strip. Is that defeating the purpose of using different wallwarts? Since they all ultimately go back to the same power strip/outlet.

So this is how I get cleanest power. Use Rowin WW for a single pedal. 1spot powers MiniPower supply block for 3-4+ pedals. Deco supply powers Deco. Is it okay to use 1spot with Rowin MiniPower block instead of the original cheap one?

I have a good battery in all pedals that accept them just as a backup or in case power supply fills, etc. Nothing is daisy chained, only the few connected to same not-really-isolated brick.

2. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2012
    Ottawa
    From what I remember about house/commercial wiring, any other wall plug you can reach with a 20 foot extension cord is likely to be on the same circuit anyway so....it's the way these things are supposed to work out. Besides, any other electrical circuit goes back to the same fuse box. No way around it.

If using a different [non original] wallwart is working for you then you should stick with it. If it ain't broke....

FB

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.