Herman Brood "I did it my way", probably the most haunting version of this song

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

He recorded this for the album "Back on the corner" where he had a big band backing him but he told the producer to leave it off the album and "Save it for that special occasion."

Two years later Brood was dead and that "Special Occasion" had arrived.

Listening to it now, it's hard not to get the shivers, he sang it as we Dutch would say "Through marrow and bone", so much emotion and conviction in his delivery.

It doesn't have the epic quality that crooners like Sinatra put in their versions but sometimes a song like that needs somebody to bring it back to the bare skeleton.

HotRodSteve likes this.
  2. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I had no idea that he was dead. Saw him open for the Kinks on their Low Budget tour, 1979.

I really like it.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Poignant and sad, but drugs claimed another victim.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Now that I've read his Wiki, his shouting Don't Do Dope at one point during that show now makes sense.

His Wiki entry touches on his using, and his concern regarding influencing others. Of course, as Yanks we were unfamiliar with his rep, so we were left wondering why he would say such a thing at a rock show!

Blazer likes this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I can't understand why Jeff Beck hasn't made and instrumental version of this song. :confused:

6. Blazer

I recently saw a documentary about his other career: as a visual artist, they interviewed some of his close friends and a guy who was wheelchair bound. Brood told him one day "God I wish I had your legs!"

The guy was surprised, why did Brood express something like that, after all Brood wasn't disabled. So Brood went "Trust me, you're so much better off than I am" before taking his pants off and showing in what kind of state his own legs were in, they were all covered in scars and bloated veins because of all the dope he injected.

kookaburra and HotRodSteve like this.
  7. Blazer

Bringing this one up because I found a real gem...

These days people record everything with their mobile phones but back in the nineties it wasn't standard procedure to have cameras around with recording sessions.

Certainly not when an artist is creating his epitaph.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.