Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Henry's crack at a Lamington.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Henry, May 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

1. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    It arrived last Tuesday while I was down in Tasvegas
    tmp_24656-DSC_0063-1759131263.JPG

tmp_24656-DSC_0063-1759131263.JPG tmp_24656-IMG-20170514-WA0009-1934214623.jpeg tmp_24656-DSC_0088-278615244.JPG tmp_24656-IMG-20170514-WA0009-1934214623.jpeg
    A bit of an anti climax really...
    tmp_24656-DSC_0088-278615244.JPG
    Don't know why that first image is uploaded twice but I can't undo it.

2. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
  3. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
  6. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    tmp_24656-DSC_0092-969904863.JPG Caps appear to be glued to the chassis and pre-soldered.

7. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    Alignment of the holes for the pots looks a little "rushed"

8. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
  9. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    Anyway I'll RTFM and clear a space on the kitchen table. Looking forward to my first dice with lethal voltage :eek:

robrob likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Awww, I thought it was going to be a baking thread...:D

[​IMG]

looks like a fun winter project, Henry.... good luck with it....:)

robrob, arcticbreaze and Henry like this.
  11. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    I have a good friend from Australia on another forum who flips his photos taken from in the car as a courtesy to me so I don't freak out. He posted a photo of a road train coming at him one time that made me hide under my desk.

Best of luck with the build!

Henry likes this.
  12. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    Identified all the components. Looks like I'm missing a capacitor and the nut for one of the pots. tmp_24656-DSC_00951220973118.JPG

13. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
  14. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    Now I won't pretend to understand anything more about amp design other than there are two basic elements; pre amp and power amp. What intrigues me with this example is there are four tubes and four transformers. It looks like the power tubes also play a part in the pre amp function (hence their labelling). Am I anywhere near being correct?

15. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    V1 (and 1a), V2 (and V2a) = 6AX7
    V3 and V4 = 6P18P

16. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    The supplier of this kit states that, "The .... Amp was designed with a" Fender" tone circuit or tone stack." I can see that. On his website he also has a link to an article on early Australian guitar amps and claims this overall design is driven by these amps. I'd like some opinions of the architecture here from those who feel qualified to comment.

17. Henry

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    And I had another look at the "Design" part of the Lamington website. More confused than ever :(
    Can anyone put in a nutshell how this design differs from the 5e3? I thought I was beginning to understand that one :rolleyes:.
    The power is vastly different I'm sure. No tube rectification. It uses diodes...in conjunction with tubes? I think I'll have another beer.
    By the way, I found the nut for the pot tangled up in the tube socket pins. Only a cap short. Easily fixed.

18. Ben the Qlder

Ben the Qlder TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Brisbane
    I have bugger all idea on building amps. But I do know the valve tone amps (nearly bought one twice) the two I tried were awesome. Doesn't help with your questions but they normally do a very good product

19. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    All 3 preamp stages have non-bypassed cathode resistors. I would put a .68uF 25v+ cap in parallel with V1A's cathode resistor. Put the cap's ground connection on a SPST ON-OFF switch for "boost switch" for a big jump in gain. You can use your master volume to control phase inverter distortion.

Your master volume will allow you to dial out phase inverter blocking distortion which is the bane of cathodyne phase inverters. Lower the master volume a little in conjunction with boost and reverb pedals to sweeten the overdrive tone. As the master volume is turned down grid stopper resistance is added between the PI grid and its upstream coupling cap.

Telenut62 and Henry like this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Henry, and hat preamp is nothing like a 5E3 Deluxe. It is closer to a 5F6A Bassman in that there are two gain stage prior to the tone stack. That tone stack is much more complex than the simple 5E3. That type of tone stack was first introduced in Fenders in 1956 in that Bassman.
    I don't have a handle on that phase inverter. Rob, what is going on there?
    Henry, there are five elements of a tube audio amp....power supply, preamp, phase inverter, output section and the speaker. As for the number of transformers, there are two power transformers in that design. There is also a separate 6.3 volt heater filament transformer.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.