Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with wood identity

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mefgames, Jan 12, 2018 at 8:58 PM.

1. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    The neck in the middle of this photo is maple, but i'm not sure what the FB is. I'm thinking maybe Paduak. I had it left over from another build years ago and I can't remember where I got it or what it is. I know the pic is a bit hard to see, but I thought I'd ask.

IMG_5639.jpg

Doug 54 likes this.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Paduak is orangy red when first sanded and oxidizes to a brown color....that wouldn't be my first guess for the middle neck. I've thinking Ipe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 9:35 PM

3. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Could be Walnut.

It's flat sawn so very little grain.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I don't think it's paduak. Besides, isn't that the stain on the headstock from staining the fingerboard? I don't know what it is but it isn't paduak.

I_build_my_own likes this.

6. mefgames

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    that's not a stain on the headstock, it's sawdust. I did some more research and found some pics of african paduak, and it's almost a dead on match. I probably shouldn't have wiped the fb's with naphtha before I took the pic.

padauk-african.jpg

7. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    The color of that wood and the color in the picture doesn't look like a match to me but if you say it's paduak, it's probably paduak. I guess I should have given you two more minutes of researching before I posted. :)

Here's another paduak (and mahogany) picture for your viewing pleasure. Doesn't really look like the fingerboard in your pic.

[​IMG]

8. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I_build_my_own likes this.

9. Armo

Armo Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
    Looks alot like Iroko to me.

10. epizootics

epizootics TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Lyon, France
    It looks a tad too dark to be Iroko...And although Imbuia does match visually, it would be a bit too soft for a fretboard.

Does your FB have any smell when you sand it? I find myself relying on smell more and more when it comes to identifying weird lumber these days...

11. mefgames

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.