Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with sanding

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Megadethking851, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Megadethking851

Megadethking851 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    So on my quilted vaneer top i see glue on the edges by the binding. Should i use 400 grit or higher to sand that off. I dont wanna sand through it cause when i apply my die im going to dye and sand back 3 times. So i dont want it getting to thin from sanding the glue off. Anybody have some advice. Ive never dyed a guitar before so hopefully it will come out good. Just the veneer is very thin and in the middle i can see where 2 pieces were joined together so ill hand to sand that down flat cause one side is higher than the other.

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    If you start with a higher grit and it doesn't do anything or takes too much work, you can always drop to a lower grit, but if you start too low and get scratches or sand through the finish then what's done is done.

Also reading that post again, have you already put finish on the guitar or are you just sanding the glue off from around the binding? In that case start with 400, go easy and see what happens. Like I said you can always drop to a lower grit if you need to, but you can't put sawdust back on the guitar. Maybe even start with 600 if your veneer is really thin and you're worried about it.

3. Megadethking851

Megadethking851 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Ok ya ill try that and no i didnt put the finish on yet, im going to try to sand the visable glue off first then raise the grain theen wait a day then dye it.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You really should post pictures - there's no way to know exactly what you have from the description.

Where did the body come from and do you have any idea what type of glue was used? It may be embedded in the wood and sanding can make it worse.

How are you dying the wood? Did you use sanding sealer first so you can control the color to some degree? Are you using tinted paste wood filler after the dye? What is the finish system?

most importantly, are you testing the dye - and everything else - on a piece of scrap wood first so you'll have some idea what to expect? It's never a good idea to do anything you've never tried before on your guitar without testing ALL the products - the whole system - first. Otherwise it's very easy to end up with non-reversible problems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.