Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with reverse 4-way switch

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Zeellee, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Zeellee

Zeellee TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Italy
    So, i'm trying to install the 4 way switch on my tele but i can't get it to work right. I have a reverse control plate and i want the switch to behave like in the photo below. fender-telecaster-fsr-508622_zpswrx6avgg.jpg Now, i have followed some diagrams online but what i have achieved is that now the first 2 position both plays the neck pu and the other 2 the bridge. I will try to post some photos or diagram of what i have done as soon as i can. Also, could someone explain to me how are the positions labeled? The first one is on the left or on the right? Do i have to mount the switch with the metal side on one side or the other way?? i'm losing my mind over this.

2. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Yes.

With both Tele and Strat, the bridge position (i.e. in your photo the leftmost position) is labeled Position 1, regardless of the number of available positions.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. Zeellee

Zeellee TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Italy
    Thanks for the response. I am terribly sorry for this mess of diagram i made on paint. I hope someone can understand something from it. That's how i have it currently wired

Attached Files:

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try it this way. Don't forget to unground/reground the neck pup's cover (if applicable)... gnnfny.jpg

And NO, it doesn't matter which way you have the switch oriented. The lugs are "reverse-mirrored" so that rotating it gives you the same connections, regardless of which side (flat or springs) you have "up" in the drawing.

5. Zeellee

Zeellee TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Italy
    I tried it and now i think i have the series on the far right position and the bridge alone on the second from the right. Unfortunately, the last two position are also bridge only. (is there a way to know what pickups are engaged, other then ears?)

i did that, yes.

6. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2016
    Germany
    Lightly tap on the pole pieces with a screwdriver.

soulman969, Mr_Q and Wally like this.
  7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Or lick them

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    As darkforce notes, tapping on polepieces with a screwdriver will tell you if a pickup is ‘online’. There will be a definite POP. Also, if you take note of the resistance readings for the pickups before installation, an ohmmeter checking the tip/ring of a cable that is plugged into the guitar will tell you what is going on. Note: with an ohmmeter, the 2 position will be weaker..lower resistance reading...than either pickup alone while the 4 position will be stronger than either pickup alone.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Except that remember the OP is not trying to wire his 4-way the "standard" way, where pos 1-3 are Normal Tele and Pos 4 is series. He wants Pos 1 to be series and then pos 2-4 to correspond to 3-way Tele pos 1-3. In which case, pos 1 will be highest resistance, and pos 3 will be lowest, and pos 2 and 4 will be in between these with pos 2 probably a little higher than pos 4 (depending on individual pickup specs).
    I think I save a set of wiring diagrams showing every possible variation of 4-way Tele wiring. Searching...

Found it - the one you're looking for is on the right, I think. I haven't tested these, just copied and saved it.
    4_way_options.jpg
    It's slightly different than Deaf Eddie's posted above, and Deaf Eddie is The Man, but it sounds like you tried his way and it still didn't work for you, so maybe try this.

Regards,
    Rex

soulman969 likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    well.....no matter where the selector places it, I suppose that I view things this way. The bridge is #1, both in parallel is #2, the neck is #3, and the two pickups in series is #4.
    However...now that I review the OP's desire, I would advise against that. there is a reason why one wants the bridge at one end of the selector or the other, imho. But, then....I am one of those people who figures that in order to be usable, the amp needs to be set up for the bridge to sound good. IN other words, I am not one of these people who never uses the bridge pickup. I subscribe to teh Billy gibbons thought that one HAS to have a usable bridge pickup. That is where the harmonics fly off the strings best...especially on a 25 1/2" scale as on a Fender Tele or Strat. When set up this way, the neck sounds good, too. I want the bridge to be at the end of the selector...ommv.
    to the OP, to do what you want simply reverse the application of the two pickups' leads to that selector switch's 'normal' operation...
    Here is the 'normal way to wire it up...ignore that these are h'bkers....they use two wires for the hookup just as do your tele p-ups.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seymour+duncan+four+way+switch+diagram&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=m3dfGUoEI5Ss_M%3A%2CDfakVhwVJQeRsM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kQofLF4JeonFGUHBKtZRZbJMJiyPg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu59Lag-TfAhWCy4MKHbGkA08Q9QEwAHoECAUQBA&biw=1024&bih=639#imgrc=m3dfGUoEI5Ss_M:

You will need to lift the ground connection between the bridge p-up and the circuit ground.

11. Deaf Eddie

To the Op: the difference between my edit to your drawing and the one on the right in TRexF16's post is the cross-switch connection of the third lug/top pole and the second lug/bottom pole, which is a redundant way of not sounding the neck pup in the bridge-only throw. It connects the neck's hot and negative together, which shunts the neck pup, instead of just lifting its negative lead as the Fender and Seymour Duncan diagrams indicate.

Remember, in the four-way scheme, the neck pup's hot is connected (indirectly, but not switched) to the volume pot, and the pickup is controlled by where its negative lead is connected.

To get your desired order of combos, in my edit your drawing the negative lead goes to the common lug on the bottom pole (lug 5). When connected to the bridge's hot ( cross-switch, lug 1, bottom row), it plays in series. Left open (no connection, lug 2, bottom row) the neck pup doesn't play - bridge only. Connected to ground (lugs 3 and 4, bottom row) it plays parallel to the bridge (3) and solo (4).

In my edit to your drawing, the bridge 's hot is connected to the common lug (lug 1, top row). Lug 2 is the series jumper to the neck pup's negative; lugs 3 and 4 are connected to the volume pot (and the neck's hot) for the bridge solo (3) and parallel (4) connections; lug 5 is left open for the neck only throw.

Does that help?

soulman969 likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That's the switching order I always use (series to the back, and control plate rotated)!

Easiest way is you use a standard 4-way diagram (if you can't find the multi-optioned ones above) and just swap the neck and bridge hot leads and rotate the switch around 180 degrees.

Of course then I rotate the control plate around 180 ... so the switch gets confused, but I'm alright ;)

[​IMG]

13. Deaf Eddie

Using a meter to check function of the wiring scheme:

Set it to read resistance/impedance in the 20k ohm range.
    Check the output with the vol and tone on "10."

The bridge and neck solo positions should read the impedance of the individual pup selected.

The series combo should read the neck+bridge impedances (pickups in series=impedances summed).

The parallel combo should read the neck+bridge impedance, divided by four.

Wally likes this.
  14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Is that a 4-way switch on that "Esquire" to give you series/screw coil/parallel/slug coil? If so I've not seen that before but it's interesting. If that's what it is, can you comment a bit on how you like the different positions?
    Thanks and sorry for the brief hijack of your thread Zeellee!
    Rex

15. Zeellee

Zeellee TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Italy
    Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately i tried the last option in TRexF16's scheme and that did not work (first two position not working at all). I'm thinking of taking the guitar to someone, even because now it's very messy and i can hear hums that werent there before.

16. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 28, 2012
    Andersonville, TN
    Im with Wally, this works and sounds great, Lollars, Emerson 4-way Bridge, Bridge/Neck parallel, Neck, Bridge/Neck Series, Good Luck

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.