Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with my 1st partscaster build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by AnAxeNamedBeverly, May 6, 2017.

1. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    I've made up my mind to assemble my 1st ever partscaster. For now I'm just gathering info and buying tools. It will be a cabronita from Warmoth. I bought a soldering iron today (never soldered anything before). I'm looking for good resources such as books, videos or just advice from y'all like things you wish someone told you before your 1st build.
    Any help or advice really would be appreciated. Thanks.

silvertonebetty likes this.

2. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Tele-Meister

May 13, 2013
    canada
    I wished someone told me how expensive it would be . Not to mention addictive . IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0317.JPG any how I wish you best of luck.

AnAxeNamedBeverly likes this.

3. AnAxeNamedBeverly

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    It can't be worse than the LSLs and the Suhrs I've been drooling over. Right? RIGHT?! PLEASE TELL ME IT CAN'T!

4. silvertonebetty

May 13, 2013
    canada
    It all depends on what you put in it. Like here in Canada our dollar is week so my neck pickup is gonna cost around $250 after taxes and shipping bridge pickup $150 bridge $80 plus. But just think for just under a grand if you go quality parts you can have something completely unique to you. I've personally haven't looked at ether of those. But my eyes like the white falcon but that's 4grand or more so you build it for cheaper .

5. silvertonebetty

May 13, 2013
    canada
    O ps look up tonebomb on eBay they are cheaper the warmoth

6. AnAxeNamedBeverly

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    Thanks for the tip. Your build looks really cool, by the way.

If anyone else has tips or just want to share a picture of your build I'd love to see 'em.

7. silvertonebetty

May 13, 2013
    canada
    Thanks

8. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2016
    Baltimore
    I am a USACG fan. Plus they have lower prices. There are 2 schools of thought for partscasters in my mind. Go all out and get exactly what you want, price be damned. Or go low budget and compromise on specs. Both have their reasons. Expect any new neck to need some work. Have a pro do the final set up work if your not good at that. Good luck and Enjoy!

9. AnAxeNamedBeverly

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    They have a nice website. Thanks.

10. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    I have built way to many partscasters in the past 38 years! Get the best of every component u can, you'll wind up with a pro guitar!! Cut corners wherever you can & you'll always be thinkin " is this really a decent ax??Go quality

11. jdkr

jdkr TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Vancouver
    I think it really depends what you want out of it. I did it because, originally I wanted a '72 tele Custom re-issue but Long and McQuade wouldn't bring one in unless I ordered it and paid upfront for it. So I started looking into building one. I decided to go with an Esquire instead because I wanted to do the simplest electric guitar i could.
    1. Always start with the basics
    2. Read, watch and learn.
    3. Stop!!
    4. Sit back, take a breath, relax and decide how you want to proceed with each step.
    5. Read, watch and learn some more
    6. Visualize, it's like learning a new lick or playing style
    7. It might sound flaky. Listen and then see yourself doing it and hearing how it sounds.
    8. There are many different guilds represented in a single electric guitar. check out woodworking, electrical, machining sites unrelated to guitars. There's a lot to be learned from them, too.

As for price. It's like investing, don't spend more than you can afford to lose. Mine was about 350-400 cdn, all in. You can always upgrade pickups and hardware, even necks, later when you are happy with the basics.

Most of all, have fun!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    First partscaster? Don't buy anything until you know what you're doing! Why? Read this...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-mjt-content.769382/

Get a cheap guitar off your local CL and work on it because you WILL make mistakes. Think of it this way, would you rather screw up a 50 dollar Squier Bullet or a 500 to 1,000 dollar partscaster? Time spent stripping, sanding, painting, upgrading the pickups, cutting a new nut, doing a fret level, crown and polish and whatever else needs done to set up the cheapie will save you big money down the road, trust me! It's like riding a bike, you learn it by doing it. Nobody on this forum can tell you everything you need to know, so take your time and don't shortcut anything. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.