Help with MIJ 62' Custom Identification please!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by davesansom, Dec 14, 2018.

1. davesansom

davesansom TDPRI Member

Good afternoon,

New member and pleased to be here.

I'm looking for information on a guitar I purchased on Ebay recently. It was cheap. Very cheap. But, from information I've found online (most of it from this site btw) I'm wondering if it might be the real deal.

In terms of trying to discover more I've taken the neck off and found that on the neck heel it says "TL-62L" but there's nothing on the neck pocket aside from a V in a circle. Also couldn't find anything under the pickguard or on the pots.

Anyway, here's the link to the guitar on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Han...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Dave IMG_3055.jpg IMG_3056.PNG IMG_3057.PNG IMG_3058.PNG IMG_3164.jpg

2. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hi and Welcome

there should be a serial number right under the made in japan on the back of the neck heel.

With that serial you can work out where and when the guitar was made here, not 100 % accurate but mostly it tells you the right stuff.

I see nothing wrong form the pictures you've posted.

Cheers

Have fun !

3. davesansom

davesansom TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no serial number under the "Made in Japan". Only serial is on the bridge, which suggests 1980s, but I've heard this isn't reliable in dating.

I've seen examples of other MIJ '62 guitars that don't have a serial but they've all had some identification in the neck pocket.

Only place I haven't looked is under the bridge itself.

4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I'd say get in touch with fender, they will tell you all the information you'll need.
    I agree that there should be a S/N but I am not an MIJ expert, maybe someone else will chime in.

No red flag BTW from the pics you've posted.

Tonetele likes this.
  5. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    is it made or crafted in japan ?

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

They won't know much, if anything, Fender Japan was a separate company.

It's as reliable as you're going to get. It sounds like early 80s.

mimmo likes this.
  7. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

If it’s a JV or A serial guitar, the serial number will be found in the bridge only, in strats the number will be on the neck plate.

The body will usually have the model number stamped in ink in the neck pocket, on A or JV guitars, the manufacture date is usually written on the heel of the neck in pencil.

If it’s all original, it will have alnico pickups, full-size pots, but skinny plastic coated wires.

beagle likes this.
  8. davesansom

davesansom TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. I was going to contact Fender but I suspected that they wouldn’t be too much help with an MIJ tele.

I think I’ll have a look at how it’s wired up next.

9. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, you've got yourself an original 1980s MIJ 62 Telecaster for peanuts.
    The A serial number is present on the bridge, everything looks as it should on the outside.

10. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Sweet. Congrats!

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome. Nice guitar. I'd follow mimmo's advice.

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Oh wow what a score. Congrats! Looks pretty right to me.

13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

You cannot buy made in China parts for a Partscaster anywhere near that low a price for that high of quality.

What a bargain!

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice guitar.
    A xxxxxx on the Ashtray as stated implies 1985/1986
    Made In Japan on the heel of the neck implies BEFORE 1996 , CIJ was post 1996 ( the factory moved)
    TL 62L is the model , left handed
    no other markings is normal and typical for this guitar
    the 3 saddle steel bridges should be grooved

These are great guitars , typical Basswood body because thats whats plentiful in Japan, as opposed to Alder or Ash which is not readily available and has to be imported in. Very similar properties. Pups can lean a tad bright but thats preference anyway. 7.25 radius with most common Rosewood Fret Board. Kluson tuners.

USA price wise for comparison or reference, very good to excellent with the hard case , right handed, +/- $1100 or higher . I paid $1100 for my 1986 / A -S/N 2 years ago. When these come up for sale they don't last long on the market and there is not much negotiation. I'm talking the MIJ's from the 80's, not the CIJ's post 1996 or the USA's which are now off the charts . These CIJ's were found in stores with Bigsby units on them and the Jazzmaster/Jaguar style bridges before they were discontinued. I remember playing a bunch of them , I loved the guitar but hated the Bigsby units on them so I always passed.

I finally caved and bought an 86 a couple of years back, always loved these guitars, still do.

Hope you bought it !

TRUE story..

Early 80's , small guitar shop where I lived, they had a REAL 62 , for $600. I knew the store owner and that day I just happened to pick up and play a few different guitars but that 62 was the cats meow. I wanted it. I went home and was telling my wife about it. OF course being the good lady that she is, she went back to the store the next day and made the purchase. BUT, when she gave it to me it wasn't the right guitar, it was one of the others and it wasn't even a Fender. The guy told her the one I wanted was a different one. She did indeed tell him you gotta be wrong, Tony's a Fender fanatic. She made the deal with the option of the return. Of course she brought it back and said no, I want that Fender, which he had sold that morning. Man was she pissed at him, as was I. Had he sold her the right guitar, an original 62 , I would still own it today. BUT, he didn't. My wife blamed herself but it was clearly not on her.

And there is a moral to the story. Don't visit guitar shops and pick up guitars unless you are ready to make a purchase right on the spot. It's a very dangerous thing to do ! :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    beagle likes this.
  15. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

You can't beat that price!

16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.