Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Help with information on a Epiphone FT-150

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by RichardWitt, Mar 16, 2009.

1. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

I was just in a pawn shop and found an Epiphone FT-150 Acoustic.

(LINK TO PAGE OF STORE SELLING SAME MODEL)

Serial number is: 1120618

A 70's Japanese period acoustic. It has a solid top, which is good but a bolt on neck, which I'm generally turned off by immediately.

But this thing sounded really good!

Reviews on the net suggest it's a good guitar, I'm just hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good site to date the serial number?

Anyone have one of these baby's?

They want $395 Aus for it, but they've been taking some pretty ridiculous requests for deals lately with the global economic crisis!

2. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I believe the 1st number is the year and the next two is the month, so 1 is probably 1971, 12 is December. You will get more help on the Epi forum.

3. Genie001

Genie001 NEW MEMBER!

trying to find Epi forum

Can you point me in the right direction to get to this forum? I have one of these guitars and am trying to place value...have played since I was 13 (way long time ago) and the FT150 I have is from the 70's.

Sweet sound....

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bug music

bug music Tele-Afflicted

6. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

7. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I almost bought an FT-150 a few years ago (lost out in a eBay bidding war). I've played the 6 and the 12 string versions of this model and like them a lot. They have lots of 70s character.

Epi acoustics of the era have bolt-on necks, which look a bit odd on an acoustic. They have four screws and a neck plate very much like a Fender neck plate. The page you sent us to doesn't picture the neck/body joint, so you might not expect it.

There's one on the Pittsburgh Craigslist for $175. It might already be gone (maybe there's a Pittburgh-based TDPRIer who could pick it up and ship it to you). Here's a pic from that one showing the neck plate:

[​IMG]

This model was called The Bard. Good luck!!

8. bluedolphin1399

bluedolphin1399 NEW MEMBER!

it couldn't be

I have an Epiphone FT 150 BARD Norlin Lincolnwood made in Japan and the serial no. is 1160880. Now we don't have a 16th month.

satish

9. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

I've got my old FT-145 beside me as I write this. I play the dog* outta mine and have since the early 1970's. I love mine.

I don't know about the serial numbers making all that much sense. I'm not certain there's any real way to know. If you find a way, let us know. My S/N is on a sticker on the bolt-on-neck-plate and is mostly faded and worn off anyway.

One thing to watch out for on these old made-in-Japan Epiphones is that the tops can cave-in between the base of the neck that the top of the sound hole. Examine the top of the guitar in that area VERY closely. If it's not straight, avoid it. I'd be afraid of ANY strange looking undulation in that area; there may have been a repair, too. There have been many cases of this failure with this series (bolt-on necks).

Having said that, if it's straight after all these years, go for it! I wouldn't put heavy strings on it (why tempt fate?), but there's not much need for heavy strings on one anyway.

Have to mention this - I got mine when a buddy couldn't afford to get it out of pawn. As I recall, it took $21 to get the pawn ticket for it. I'd sell it, but it would take a LOT more than that.

On second thought, I wouldn't sell it...

10. lukyluk

lukyluk NEW MEMBER!

Well, I registered here only because I found this thread.

I have an Epiphone FT 150 BARD Norlin Lincolnwood made in Japan, from 1980.

Time ago I found this web that helped me about finding old guitars through serial nº.
    http://www.guitardaterproject.org

In this case, if you're looking for your bard, click on "Epiphone". (right menu)
    I putted mine's serial (80021512) and FT-150 where it says "model" and it told me:

Guitar Info
    Your guitar was made in
    Korea
    February c.1980
    Production Number: 1512

Anyway, I believe it's made in Japan.

Moreover, If I search for "Epiphone FT-150" it seems to be a pretty similar guitar as mine's except for the headstock and the -I don't know how to say it- hole inlays
    I think it's because the 1980 made of.

Good to find more Bard owners!!

11. lukyluk

lukyluk NEW MEMBER!

Pd. Agreeing to wath the page said to me, you can guess that the two first numbers is the year, two next is the month and the other the production number

80 = 1980

02 = February

1512 = Production number

I don't know if it's true but... i believe it is

Hope I helped you

12. Javier Tijuana

Javier Tijuana NEW MEMBER!

About Epiphone acoustics data base.

The Epiphone serial number decoder currently supports 11 Serial number formats from 25 factories. Vintage numbers from 1932 to 1970 are now supported. serial numbers from 70' and 80's era Epiphone guitars made in Japan are not supported. The reason for this is that there is no reliable documentation from this time period. More information about this can be found in the FAQ. Please post any comments, particularly bugs in the user feedback section.

This quote comes from:
    http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

VALENCIA BLUES SOCIETY - SOCIEDAD DE BLUES DE VALENCIA
    Blessed By the Smokestack Lightnin´

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.