Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with decision

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jonton2, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jonton2

jonton2 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    You guys are always great. I have been a strat player for many years (30). Was turned onto tele’s about 5 years ago. Although I get one, like it, love it then sell it to fund more gear. The only guitar I have never sold is my late eighties MIJ strat.

So at the moment I have the Strat and a Fernandes Elite Pro with sustainer. The Fernandes is kind of a novelty but I get some great funk tones and the sustainer solos are fun.

I have a Daphne Nashville Telecaster being shipped to a local guitar center tomorrow. It is the 2016 Rosewood version, stock. Purchase price $640.

Should I sell the Fernandes and keep the Tele?

I have a hard time keeping 3 guitars as I always feel I should sell one. What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Three?
    Keep them all.

It's not until you get past a baker's dozen guitars that you need to ponder getting rid of one or two.

And I know;
    I'm trying to sell off a few to help pay for the last two I bought.

:(

Tim S and Ash Telecaster like this.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Yup. I second keeping the Fernandes. They were well made guitars and I'm not sure they're still making them. Plus that Sustainer is a trippy novelty I always thought would be cool to play with.

Had a friend with an early '90s Fernandes Tele. It played like a dream, but he was always bummed it wasn't a real Fender, so he sold it. He still regrets getting rid of it to this day.

4. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I have to agree. Live a little. Enjoy the luxury of having choices.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Just three?

Freaking amateur.

You're probably one of those guys who actually plays them, and plays them well.

6. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Depends, need the money...sell. If not, keep it.

I never see a negative in keeping instruments and gear unless you need the money more. Selling equipment that you infrequently use to fund something that you will is always the right choice or for keeping the electricity from being shut off.

In other cases, keep it.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The problem is, the math keeps changing on what we frequently and infrequently use.

Many of us, like me, are cyclical. 6 months duration.

When I pick up something I haven't played in awhile, I always...ALWAYS think...

"Why don't I play this guitar more often!?"

9. jonton2

jonton2 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    You guys win. Keeping all three. Thanks for the wise words. Just needed some reassurance :)

Somehow I knew what the answers would be before I asked.

Picking her up tonight. That Daphne Blue is going to be very noticeable from the other 2 black guitars. I can always say I painted one of them...

ricardo1912 and LPDR Band like this.

10. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    Just look at my avatar ! Keep em all

jonton2 likes this.

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    My solution: keep buying guitars until the feeling that you should sell one goes away.

titan uranus likes this.

12. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Three is the bare minimum number IMHO. Wait to you do a weekend with two gigs back to back in the heat and humidity. All three of those guitars will see some action and you'll be wishing you had a fourth. And if you don't gig never say never.

13. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

Looking forward to your next 'Help' thread, when you'll be asking which of your three guitars to keep. The conclusion to which, will be that you then own four guitars. You're on a slippery slope, but enjoy your new and old acquisitions, especially Daphne... that's a good looking instrument.

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Good call to keep all three and enjoy the new blue one. I have five Teles, two Strats and an old Ibby. The Teles get played in rotation, the Strats get an occasional workout and the Ibby I keep for sentimental reasons. While I will cheerfully admit that I could probably gig with one decent Tele and a cheapo backup, it's nice to have options.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Three? You're just getting started. As long as they all do something different and/or you can afford it, no reason not to keep 'em all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.