Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with choice of wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by yelemusic, Apr 20, 2018.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2015
    Kent, UK
    I have a roasted maple neck waiting for a body too. Should go well with the rosewood.

Allparts neck.jpg

I've always liked the trimmed pickguard as in your first pic, but the 4th pic looks good to me. Going to be pretty!

LocoTex likes this.

2. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    That's a stunning axe.

Barncaster likes this.

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Walnut is one of those woods that can be simply grained yet stunning. The English variety or Claro is my jam

4. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    I have a mahogany Fano and a Nocaster, pretty sure most of the tonal difference is in the pickups. IMG_0668.JPG

ModerneGuy and Macrogats like this.

5. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    I find I like Black Korina (or Limba) better than Honduran Mahogany. It has a wider mids frequency range that I find pleasing. My favorite tele is a Warmoth build that is Black Korina capped with Bloodwood and a Bloodwood neck, Canary stripe and a Rosewood fretboard. Best sounding tele out of all my teles.

6. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Walnut is a bright wood. So is Rosewood to some extent.... on acoustic guitars anyway. You might avoid putting those together I would think. But the sum is = to the parts on a guitar so... hard to say really. Gibson used walnut bodies on some LP's and SG's for a period (70s? 80's?) and they are not popular guitars at all. Bright and sterile in general.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There are plenty of walnut bodied teles made right here in the home depot. I wouldn't hesitate to use any combination of anything with Walnut. I did 4 walnut parlors. I wouldn't use the term bright at all to describe them. I find them kind of mellow.

8. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Dare you to make one out of an ashtray cover.

With solid body electrics, and most semi-hollows, I look at the pickups as the red beans and rice, and the type of wood it’s made from is your hot sauce. Sure, there’s a difference between Crystal and Valentina, but they’re both going to accent the flavor, and you don’t base the meal on the hot sauce. At least most people don’t. I do sometimes.

That’s a real nice looking body. Keep us posted on the progress.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That pickguard is just fantastic! I would love to see some more pics of that guitar, maybe even a pickguard template/pdf. Did you do a build thread for it?

Thanks, it's so innovative,
    Rex

Henfield Tele likes this.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Dude!!! I am loving your guitar! Excellent look.

At the OP - with that lovely looking top you have coming - I would go minimalist on the pg - pic 4 I think.

11. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Hi Rex, you can buy these pick guards directly from the Fano website.
    It’s like a Tele, but with extra hair girth and gristle!! IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0676.JPG

https://www.fanoguitars.com/parts--accessories.html

Last edited: May 14, 2018

12. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Thinking about which material I should use. Maybe some nice wood as well? We'll see.
    The body will arrive here tomorrow, so once I've got it, I'll know more.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.