Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with choice of wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by yelemusic, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Without the answers to those few questions, imho buying a custom built body should be done on looks alone...and then one lives with whatever the body does soncially. that aspect may never confront some folks.....I hear the differences between certain woods, etc. If however, one wants the guitar to do what one wants it to do, then those questions need to be answered. there are reasons why the answers lead to certain choices of wood and/or density of a certain wood that might look just like another piece of the same wood but with a different density.
    I also believe that a pretty wood deserves a fine finish. OMMV......
    there is an old saying....applies to guitars in very specific ways......'Pretty is as pretty does'.....

on that note, I'll leave ya'll with this thought from Master Jerry Reed(RIP) with some thoughts.....

telemnemonics likes this.

2. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    I think so, my brightest Jazz Bass is the mahogany one. Walnut can be very bright. Basically I think the wood is tonally irrelevant as far as genus or species is concerned and will retain that until someone can actually identify wood by the sound alone.

All the wood you mention is very heavy, sometimes mahogany is not really heavy but it's rarely called light. I feel heavy woods generally tend to sustain longer with a wider frequency range. Rosewood on walnut could be very bright. But it will always be heavy!!!

3. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

Whats with that cool textured finish?
    Or is it pixelated from camera?

4. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Ok, I think I'm sold on the Walnut, as it's prettier :)
    Heavy isn't a bad thing with a thinline, as I feel those tend to be neck heavy sometimes. I've put extra weights into cavities of thinline guitars in the past, just to make them less neck heavy :)

So, I'm going to order the walnut/rosewood combo now. I'll let you know once it has arrived :)
    Thanks for all your input!

:)

LocoTex, MarkJT and Blue Bill like this.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's just a totally cool textured finish.. :D

rk

Henfield Tele and 2blue2 like this.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    OK, now you're just showing off, Ron....that guitar is simply beautiful. Ever done a Tele-style like that?
    Only criticism I would offer is ONE too many cutaways, one too many control knobs, and one too many trem arms.....other than that it's PERFECT....;)

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2015
    Kent, UK
    I'm sure you'll be happy with walnut/rosewood. I love walnut. But here's a pair of mahogany/rosewood teles I made 20 years ago. Neither was very heavy and both sounded warmish in a HH and HS sort of way.

Tele #2 Jan87.jpg Tele #1 Jan87 a.jpg

2blue2 likes this.

8. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Hey guys, I've made up my mind and ordered the Walnut/Rosewood body, because Walnut is just so beautiful! Actually, hiding the beatiful wood under a Rosewood top is a shame in it own right, but what the heck :)
    The guy said, that Walnut is heavier than Mahogany, but it's going to be a thinline, and thus prone to being neck heavy anyway. So I don't mind the extra weight :)

That's roughly what I'm aiming for (of course with a Rosewood top, and probably not a metal pick guard. That's a bit over the top IMHO)
    I was wondering about this curved bridge though. Does anybody know where to find one like this? The straight ones are all over the place, but this curved one is nowhere to be found.
    [​IMG]

LocoTex and Macrogats like this.

9. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Oh boy, I guess this rules it out, given the price tag. That's crazy!
    But thanks anyway for the speedy reply :)

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I use a Wilkinson bridge with compensated brass saddles, they are about $20 and work great.

2012-TDPRI-cocosonic10.jpg

11. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    I made a thinline with a walnut back and a top of birch plywood. It's a nice sounding guitar. I would think walnut with a rosewood top would be sweet too. I've used walnut on a neck or two as well and really like it. You might consider a walnut neck with that too. I'm with Ron on wood choice. It's mostly in the pickups. If you've been around here long enough and seen any builder's competitions, you've probably seen guitars made of steel, MDF, pallet wood, concrete, etc.

Macrogats likes this.

12. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    BTW, this is black walnut I'm talking about. I know there are different kinds that are probably pretty different from each other.

13. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Concrete! :lol:

Glad you've gone with the walnut yelemusic. Beautiful wood IMO. Please keep us posted with progress!

Oh, and that guitar Ron posted - simply stunning!!

14. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    That's right, but there are plenty of square shaped bridges to choose from anyway.
    I was hoping to find one of these curved custom shop bridges, cos they look awesome. Now that that's ruled out due to ridiculous price, I'm free to choose any Tele bridge I want :)

BTW what's that Pickup in your guitar? Looks like a mini Humbucker of sorts.

15. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Sure :)

16. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Hi folks,
    here are pics of my new Tele body.
    So I finally went with Spanish Walnut and Rosewood top.
    Doesn't it look amazing?

Now the next step will be to determine wether I'll aplly a lacquer finish or just oil it. The latter would mne easier, but I just love the look of a high gloss lacquer finish... We'll see.

Do those types of wood need pore filling I wonder?
    Anyway, the pics: Tele_Thinline_body_Walnut_Indian_rw_top.jpg Tele_Thinline_body_Mahogany_Indian_rw_Back.jpg

Macrogats and WingedWords like this.

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    If it was mine, I'd hit the walnut with a penetrating oil stain to really pop the grain. Then one coat of Minwax gloss polyurethane to seal the surface. Don't worry about grain filler, a little grain relief is part of the beauty of it. That's some good looking wood you have there, it doesn't need much.

Everything is easier when somebody else does it. It would look great with a lacquer finish if you have the time, equipment, and skills...and a place to do it.

18. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2015
    Kent, UK
    That's a looker, yelemusic. Glad to see it's worked out so well. What thoughts on neck/fingerboard and pickguard?

19. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I already bought a roasted maple neck, which I believe will go rather well with the body. Once the body is here (they posted it from Spain yesterday, so I expect it to be here next week) I'll marry them up and take pics.

As for finish, I've done a couple of rattle can lacquer finishes, which turned out fine, so I'm positive that it'll look good in the end. Oiling is fine, but I do prefer lacquer, but that might require grain filling. But hey, I'm doing it for the fun of it, so it's part of the fun to go through all these steps.

I've got one of these small Cabronita pickguards lying around here, so that might be an option.

A regular Tele pickguard won't work because the f-hole is in the way (unless I trim it accordingly):
    -1.jpg

Or I cut out the f-hole, like this:
    -2.jpg

The typical Tele thinline pickguard on the other hand isn't my cup of tea at all, I find it plain ugly (besides, the traditional Tele routing for the electronics requires a normal metal control plate anyway).
    Big No No:
    584390000010000-00-500x500.jpg
    No PG at all isn't an option either, because I find without any PG a Tele looks just too naked. I might change my ind though, once I can see it in person.

At the moment I'm gravitating towards this shape, maybe different color/material (some rather raw looking bakelite might look cool, not too flashy but still classy looking):
    w8ito6rks1pzvoq9nuhm.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.