Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help with a pickup

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 1bad914, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I decided to rewire my electronics, part of this was new wires to the pickups. Mr. Smart guy here unsoldered the wires from the pickup, the copper wires broke, now I can’t figure out what to solder to. Yes, I am a newb to pickups. Do I just grab two wires and solder the lead and ground to them or do I have to have the two ends?? I think this thing is toast. It is a cheap pup.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Post some pictures of the pickup and wires.

You'll need the two bobbin wires, the outer end won't matter if it broke, you can unwind a few wraps and get it. If the inner loop was broke off where you can't reach it then it's toast or cut the wire off and wind new wire on it.

If you just broke the lead wires off and the bobbin wires are ok then you just need to resolder.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I fixed a broken wire on the inner lead once. It is very hard to do because the wire is very easy to break. If it is a cheap pickup, then a new one won't cost much to replace.

4. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I think it is toast.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yeah unless you're "good" fixing that can be more difficult than convincing a Cop the bag full of Meth in your pocket was something you just found....and you has no idea it was yucky drugs,, :p

Good hi resolution photos are necessary for us to analyze the potential for repair..

rk

6. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    This is from a cheap kit. Probably not worth the effort.

7. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    ....but I hate letting something go

8. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Broke a lead on a no-name alnico bridge pup a while back.

Now it is my coolest fridge magnet!

Zepfan and LutherBurger like this.

9. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    A cheap ceramic mag pickup like that is the perfect thing to learn on. Carefully peel off the tape, saving it. Unwrap the end of the wire, strip it with a piece of sandpaper, and solder your lead to it. The start end of the winding may be harder to find, it might still be sticking out from the bottom of the coil. It will probably go badly, and if you succeed in getting a working pickup, it may just break again later unless you mechanically secure the lead wires well. When it goes horribly wrong, just make it a fridge magnet.

Zepfan likes this.

10. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    Thanks for the advice. What do I look for as a positive response with a meter?

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    When using an ohm meter you'll want to see about 6000 ohms on many single coils of the Fender strat style.

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    My refrigerator doors are wood-paneled, but the front door of my apartment is steel. Two old and otherwise useless ceramic bar magnets are on the door, and we use them to hang notes, dry cleaning tickets, etc.

Barncaster and Bruxist like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.