Help! -The truss rod's stuck!!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Eivindpicker, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I went thru this ordeal years ago and have since applied a light coating of copper never seize on all my guitar truss nuts. Long time ago I learned to apply the proper grade of loctite to things I didn't want to loosen up and never seize to those I might want/need to take apart - guitars and otherwise !!

2. Feedbackboy

Feedbackboy TDPRI Member

Guys,

Just bought a 2006 60th Anniversary Telecaster (3 Tone Sunburst version).

Was generally delighted with it out of the case as it looks unplayed, and although playable, it clearly needed a set-up.

So, took it to my tech. who has done a good job and it is certainly more playable action wise, but the action could not be set as low as I wished due to a stuck truss rod - too much relief added (action would probably be great for a lot of players, but I am picky and swap on stage with my Strat which has a very low feel).

Looks like a previous set up has trashed the hex socket so I'm running out of options here.

I may just move it on to save pain, although those vintage type pick-ups sound simply superb.

Any clues where the rod is stuck and the hex is trashed? :(

FBB.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Try inserting a metal pick (dental pick, needle probe, whatever you have) into the recess on the trussrod adjusting nut. Sometimes you can clean out enough gunk to allow the wrench to sit in deeper and get a better hold. There's also a Stew Mac gadget with a tapered allen wrench meant to get a purchase on the nut (to coin a phrase).

Replacing that nut, assuming you can get it unstuck, would require that you drill out the walnut plug, remove the washer or plate under it (which might require removing the string nut also, I've only seen the guts of an '83 which is the earliest biflex trussrod, Jack tells us they changed later from the rectangular plate to a washer), get the nut un-stuck and replace it, then fit a new walnut dowel and cut/sand it flush, which will require a finish touchup on the headstock.

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Quite often the nut gets boogered up from trying to overtighten it with the wrong size allen key. It usually runs out of threads on the rod, then some knucklehead keeps trying to twist it on tighter. If you can manage to get the nut off, lubricate the threads and replace the nut. If it tightens down to a stop, then stop. Remove the new nut, and add washers over the truss rod, then try again. This will give you more adjustment without overtightening.

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Washers are needed if you run out of threads on the rod, or if you bottom out the tip of the rod in the nut. This could be a symptom of a soft neck that needs a lot of support from the trussrod. When it comes time to refret, ask the luthier about a compression refret.

6. Feedbackboy

Feedbackboy TDPRI Member

Update: I took the Tele. back to Fender (UK) this week where they advised the neck was likely defective when installed and if I'd returned it during the warranty period, they'd have replaced it free-of-charge? (ha - I didn't own it then - doh!)

The adjustment is apparently fully 'out' with nothing more left to pull that concave bow back in line.

However, I'm now getting a new neck installed (only one left in the world to fit this model?) at a trade price from them - it'll be like new so can't complain.

FBB.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. KelvinB

KelvinB TDPRI Member

8. KelvinB

KelvinB TDPRI Member

Newbie here. Just want to say hello.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. KelvinB

KelvinB TDPRI Member

You might have to destroy a walnut plug but there is no sense risking your maple by using your Dremel on the plug. For the walnut plugs, it is better to apply a moderate amount of heat to the area and pull the plug out. After reading another post, I remember that heat was applied to the inside of the plug with a soldering iron to melt the glue and then you can use whatever you need to pull out the plug. With a little luck, the original plug can be reinstalled. If not, new plugs are not very expensive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Hello!

However, I should note that you’re responding to a thread from eight years ago. Around here we call those zombie threads (the dead brought back to some shambling undead state).

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fill it with a thin oil so it penetrates while still in place. Try it again in another ten years time..:)

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

A few drops of PB Blaster applied back in 2010 when this problem was first identified would almost certainly have loosened the stuck threads by now. ;)
    But seriously, just reading this early thread reminds me of what a resource we have here. The OP got his problem solved right away but then two other fellows jumped in and also got help on the same subject. And I must assume things got better for them both as the thread came to an end.
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.