Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help! -The truss rod's stuck!!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Eivindpicker, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Eivindpicker

Eivindpicker TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2006
    HALDEN, NORWAY
    -I tried to adjust the neck on my Nashville b-bender tele yesterday and found that the truss rod's completely stuck. It's probably been stuck for a while, course the previous owner have filled some of the frets flat in stead of adjusting the truss rod (making the intonation a bit off also..) Anyone who got a tip or two how I can loosen that bolt??

2. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany
    It adjusts at the headstock, right?
    I have a Standard Stratocaster from the late 80s with the same problem.
    The truss rod nut cannot be turned to correct the bow in the neck.
    I already gave it to one "luthier" who took the walnut plug out, removed the truss-rod-nut and reinstalled the plug again.
    The problem persists, though, and I'm not happy...
    Here's my 2 cents...find the best luthier available, have him do the above operations and when you pick up the guitar check that the truss rod nut can be turned freely.
    That's why I dislike Fender necks with a headstock adjustment...a replacement is always a major task...

Good luck,

Sascha

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    One little trick you can try is, take the adjuster nut off completely and slip 2 or 3 flat washers on the truss rod. In some instances where the adjuster nut is bottoming on the threads, this will give you a little extra room for adjustment when trying to fix a positive bow. You may have to shop around to find the right size flat washers but it's worth a try. I have saved a neck or two by doing this.

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    When you say the truss rod is stuck, are you talking about the ajusting nut? Can you remove the adjusting nut or is it stuck to the rod? If it's stuck to the rod I'd like an answer myself. I have a G&L that appears to have had the nut turned until there were no more threads and the nut was snugged up tight against the unthreaded part of the rod. When I turn the nut counter-clockwise a small amount, it springs back when released. In other words, turning the nut is twisting the rod. I've tried everything you can imagine to get it unstuck.

5. Eivindpicker

Sep 20, 2006
    HALDEN, NORWAY
    Thanks for your answers everyone! -And yes, the nut's stuck. When I try to adjust the truss rod, I can't move the nut at all. I've used all the force I dear to without breaking the umbraco.

6. Eivindpicker

Sep 20, 2006
    HALDEN, NORWAY
    There it was!! It's loose!!! -I forgot the guitar in the trunk from yesterday, took it inside and tried turning the nut... -No problemo!! I guess the temp. changes helped. Thanks for posting anyway!

7. Legba

Legba Tele-Meister

Jan 28, 2008
    Idaho
    Well it was 40 Degrees F last night in Halden so that might be the answer.
    I may try this if I ever run into the problem :idea:

8. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

get some oil or grease on that nut b4 you put it back

9. Eivindpicker

Sep 20, 2006
    HALDEN, NORWAY
    Yeah, That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

10. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Mother Nature is just a wunderful Thang !

11. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Lube-Tork, or molybdenum or copper anti seize paste would be best. Auto parts supply places sell it, and it isn't expensive, and goes a very long way.

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Yes this works if the nut is jammed all the way onto the last thread. Kind of wish it had been done on a lot of Les Paul type guitars with acorn nuts under a trussrod cover. However on an Am Std biflex trussrod you have to remove the metal plate or gate that sits under the string nut. The trussrod adjusting nut will back up against this gate and push the other way in order to correct back-bow, hence the "biflex" designation. Also, in order to back out the trussrod adjusting nut, you have to remove the walnut plug (with a Dremel or similar grinding tool, a drill just doesn't get in there without chewing things up). Then add the washer or spacer, lube and replace the nut, and reinsert the gate, replace the string nut, and then deal with the missing walnut plug (brown tinted lacquer camouflages the hole in the maple headstock pretty well, but a replacement walnut plug would be the best fix).

Eivindpicker, make sure that this isn't the reason that the nut froze in the first place. Loosen it then turn it back and see if you're hitting a spot where it suddenly doesn't want to turn anymore - if so you could already be right up against the end of the threads. If you still have too much relief, then the right fret dressing could get you some more relief a Plek might be worth it), and some luthiers are experienced in doing a "compression" refret to get a little more spring in the neck. Good luck and keep checking back here for more solutions in search of a problem.

13. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    The original drawings submitted with Fender's patent application did have a metal plate that the truss rod nut backed up against. However I think this was later replaced with a metal washer between the truss rod nut and the walnut plug. Probably done to speed production. They call that "value engineering". See Item #14 in this Fender neck blueprint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/jwells393/Neck Building/StratNeckBlueprint.jpg

Here's a drawing from the patent application showing the original metal plate.

......[​IMG]

14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    It pays to lube (grease, no oil) all truss rods nuts, I use white lithium grease *sparingly* to both the threads and face of the nut.

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    i think dan erlewine suggests using vaseline as a lubricant on truss rod nuts. most people have it around the medicine cabinet. its certainly cheap enough...

imho.

rand z

16. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Jack, Sometimes you can try heating the nut with a big soldering gun (like a 260 watt Weller gun) as a last resort. Try not to scorch the finish if you can help it, but sometimes the high temp will loosen it up enough to get it moving again. I've made my own copper tips from #12 house wire, and been able to get the tip skinny enough to clear the wood, but still contact the rod/nut. Obviously, don't burn yourself with the nut.. they get really hot, and take a while to cool down. Be sure to clean and lubricate the threads when you reinstall.

17. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Vaseline does work, however I find it too oily and not greasy enuf - and I don't want the stuff seeping too much into the wood ... cup grease would be better, but lithium bike/cycle chain lube works best for me.

18. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Just don't use KY jelly. :lol:

...Tastes terrible with peanut butter... [​IMG]

19. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I'm currious ............. how would a little oil on the truss rod nut threads harm the wood? I'm asking this after years of finishing furniture and cabinets with Watco Danish Oil.

Well ............ it does have its uses ........ maybe not for guitars or with peanut butter.

Thanks for the soldering iron tip Rich. I've tried that already. I managed to get it hot enough to loosen the glue joint running below the G string. Still the nut is stuck. I think an earlier owner ran out of threads and just torqued it tight up against the unthread part of the rod. I think it's a situation where you need hold the rod while you attempt to back off the nut............. or course there's no way to do that.

20. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Can weaken the wood in an area of compression.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.