Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Help Request] Relatively unique wiring for tele...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Offsetmind, May 8, 2015.

1. Offsetmind

Offsetmind NEW MEMBER!

May 8, 2015
    Seattle
    Hey guys, I went in over my head and decided to rewire my squier telecaster because it was having issues anyway. Instead of just simply rewiring it, I decided I wanted to do something rather different.

Background (Feel free to skip this if you like)
    I bought a squier tele custom at a second hand music store for $200 and it had a porter classic p90 in the bridge and the stock duncan design in the neck. The bridge sounded incredible, but the neck sounded awful. The pots were scratchy and made lots of noise, but the intonation and action was amazing. It stayed in tune so well, I was shocked. I wouldn't say it was quite on par with my fender tele, but it was darn near close, so naturally, I couldn't leave the store without it.

Plan

Originally I intended to replace the neck pickup, but decided I'd wait until I could afford what I wanted instead of getting a different cheap pickup, and instead I thought of a neat idea.
    Because I loved using the pickup switch to go between rhythm and lead with the different tone/vol knobs but only liked the bridge pickup, I decided to wire it similar to a jaguar/jazzmaster.

Essentially, I wanted 2 vol, 2 tone, and a switch to go between rhythm circuit and lead circuit with only the bridge pickup. Then I thought, hell, why not add a strangle switch in the form of a push/pull pot. I think that's where I probably went over the line, but oh well. It seemed like a cool idea!

Question
    Am I missing anything as far as the wiring goes? Any Grounds etc.? Will this work as intended?

(Diagram) I drew this in paint, sorry for the sloppiness.

I based this off several different schematics for jaguar, jazzmaster and also a few different posts about strangle switches all from various forums (links below). Hopefully this makes sense?

Thanks for reading!

Threads/Diagrams/Schematics I used
    Single Pickup with 2 circuits

Traditional Jazzmaster wiring

Strangle Switch

Strangle Switch 2

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I've come back to this post and looked at the diagrams and read the other links a couple of times, but I still just can't seem to get my head around what you're trying to do. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable (won't take much) than me will be able to pick it up and answer your questions.

Welcome to the forum, you posed a doozy for your initiation! :D

3. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Aug 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I was hoping that you would get more comments that the single one to date.

In order to perhaps keep info coming I will offer my limited knowledge.

As far as I can tell, what you have is two different paths - one going to 500K pots and the strangle switch, and the other going to 300K pots. My understanding (and hence why I hope others will pipe up) is that using different pot values will alter the brightness of the sound when open. So, your 500K pots position will give a brighter sound. But I suspect that the moment you start bringing your tone knobs into the equation all real difference will be lost.

Like Rick, I am a bit confused to exactly what you are trying to achieve. The obvious question is, if you are after a Jazzmaster/Jaguar inspired lead and rhythm circuit change, why not use the same pot values that they use? At least that way you can be sure there will be good contrast between the two circuits.

I am sorry that I can't answer about the wiring working in relation to grounds. I am about to find out if my own, similar, experiment in wiring exercises worked in practice. I don't see anything that is clearly an issue though.

4. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    I think I understand what you are trying to do here. One setting of the 2 position switch you wire in the 300K Vol and Tone Pots..The other you wire in the 500K Volume and tone pots with the ability to switch in the strangle switch into this circuit with the push pull switch.
    There are a lot of ways to wire a circuit.. I could be not seeing something here but here is something to check…
    1. Push pull strangle switch. In your diagram in one position you have the cap wired in the circuit. When the switch is in the other you have disconnected the pickup from the circuit completely. Lets number the 6 connections of the switch staring at the top left lug going from left to right then down. Pos 1 you have the one end of the cap and a wire going to the 2 Pos switch. Pos 2 nothing. Pos 3 the input from the pickup. Pos4 Nothing. Pos 5 and 6 nothing. On position 5 run another wire to the 2 pos switch. This way in up position you have the cap in the circuit. In the down position you have it out. This cap is just a high pass filter. It will sound thin and tinny. Some folks like this sound when used with fuzz.
    2. Your 300K tone Pot needs a ground on the case.
    3. I am not sure what is going on in the 300K Tone circuit. Are you sure this is wired like the example you took this from? The tone control is just a filter. A cap in series with a resister. With used with a pot, the pot becomes a variable inline resister. In your circuit you have the cap in series with a fixed 300K resistance. This part of the circuit in parallel with the variable part of the pot in series with the vol pot. It makes my eyes cross trying figure out how this would work.
    Anyway, we only learn by trying out new things. I have been using the Bill Lawrence Q filter. I use the push pull switch to switch in the Q filter or switch back to the standard tele circuit. It is only $25 and worth trying to see if you like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.