Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[HELP]Removing the finish of a rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Lemec, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Lemec

Lemec TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Portugal
    I recently purchased a '62 Tex-Mex Telecaster RI with a a rosewood neck.

I would like to know what must i do to remove the finish from the back of the neck.

Is it acceptable to do so or is there any reason i shouldn't do it ?

Any advises/comments would be most appreciated...

Best regards,

Lemec

2. Lemec

Lemec TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Portugal
    17 visits and no comments...IS it such a silly question ?

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, there have been dozens or stripping and refinishing threads in the last week or so, so most people are probably just tired of answering the same question. Plus, being in Portugal, most of us wouldn't know what products you have available to strip your neck.

When you say, Rosewood Neck, do you mean it has a rosewood fretboard or the entire neck is built from rosewood?

If the neck is finished in Lacquer, acetone(fingernail polish remover) or lacquer thinner will strip that finish right off there in no time. If the neck is polyurethane it maybe a little tougher. There are numerous varieties of polyurethane and polyesters, so its tough to say what will strip it off.
    Here in the states, Airplane Stripper, MEK, methyl ethyl ketone, and citristrip are the goto chemical strippers.

If you are just wanting to strip the back of the neck where you play, sand paper will work, just take your time and progressively work from lower to higher grits. Don't use any power tools. If you are proficient with cabinet making tools, a scraper would peel that stuff right off, but I strongly urge you not to use this method unless you are proficient with scrapers.

4. Lemec

Lemec TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Portugal
    Thank you Colt W. Knight for the quick reply and help...TO answer your question it has a rosewood fretboard...and sadly i have to say that here i can only have access to sand paper ( will the 240 wood kind be suitable ? ) so i'll try what you said...After that is there any kind of procedure as far as care issues for that "stripped" neck?....I have one more question...i own a '79 Fender Strat ( Big Head ) loaded with the Vintage Hot Noiseless pu's ( Jeff Beck mod. )...I would like to get the same balance, output, tone and hum-free ability regarding the Tele...Any advise as what pu's should i purchase ?

Again thank you in advance ...

Best regards,

Lemec

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, 240 will work well. When sanding the playing area of the back of the neck be careful to avoid the transition areas at the peghead and heel so you don't get those areas unlevel.

I am the wrong person to ask about noiseless pickups, but I like Fender's new SCN I believe it stands for somariancobalt noiseless pickups. On the good guitars I build, I have OC Duff wind all the pickups. His work is a step above production pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.