Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help Please identifying Pickups... Ron Ellis? Alan Hamel?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AJ Love, Jan 12, 2018.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg picked up a guitar in a trade, the original owner says that in 2008 in San Diego, Ron Ellis personally installed the pickups... This was between the time that Ron stopped working with Alan Hamel and began selling his own pickups worldwide. The original owner says that he thought they were Ron Ellis pickups, however Ron has said that he personally signed every one if his pickups, even back to the beginning. These have no signature

I suspect they might be Hamel pickups? The neck pickup looks very similar to a Hamel neck pickup I recently bought from a TDPRI'er. The Bridge pickup sounds flat out phenomenal. So much so that the superstitious me doesn't want to take it out of the bridge and mess up the set up (!)

At any rate if any of you can provide some insight here, let me know please. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here are better quality photos of the Bridge Pickup. Anyone have any insight please? Looking at the neck pickup, I thought it might be a Hamel, but the Bridge Pickup does not at all look like any Hamel pickup that I've seen...

Thoughts?

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    I sent the pictures to Ron Ellis and he confirmed that he did make the pickups, it was one if his earliest sets. He said I could send them to him for him to sign... I thought that was very cool of him

tonyj likes this.

4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Careful, it might take him 18-months to send it back to you.

:lol: Peter

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Is there deposit required for the signature? :) Actually I would love to try a set of Ron's pickups but putting up 300 bucks for a year and a half before receiving product doesn't add up to me. I wish he could be like Analog Mike and not require payment until you name comes up.

PeterUK likes this.

6. PeterUK

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    I got stung the first time around. When e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y my pick ups did arrive (after starting BBB claim) my bridge pick up was DOA. After getting in fixed at my expense, my remarkable pick ups turned out to be quite unremarkable so I flipped them on eBay.

Maybe he just didn’t like me.

For the record, mine were unsigned too! :D

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    Every pickup I've played that was wound by Ron Ellis has been flat out fantastic.

MickM likes this.

8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I've never really heard too many folks complain about the tone of his pickups but most would have to admit that his business model leaves much to be desired. A waiting list seems like it would clear up any negative press Ron might receive. If the demand is that high he would not have difficulty selling the pickups if someone passed when their turn came up. I would really like a pair to see how they compare to other boutique winders I've tried but I can't bring myself to loan Ron that kind of money when I can get a quality set from Budz in two weeks.

9. PeterUK

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    This I am really jealous of. Mine, probably one of the last pair that the Ellis/Hamel partnership, were awful. I mean really awful (once I had the bridge pick up brought back to life by a highly respected UK pick up maker and repairer).

I was so desperately disappointed.

:( Peter

10. PeterUK

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Quickly do the math: I heard he’d got over 100 customers waiting for pick ups.

If they’ve all paid up front, that implies he $30k making interest!

Nice business if you can get it!

:rolleyes: Peter

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

11. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, this carcass has been beaten into puree.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    Just a quick follow up:

I received the pickups back from Ron, signed, a week after shipping them to him. It was very nice of him to do that.

tonyj and Kingpin like this.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI

14. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    Then you sold them A.J...lol :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.