Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Help] Noiseless pickups hum/buzz issue (Ground issue?)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Mickyy, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Mickyy

Mickyy NEW MEMBER!

Aug 15, 2017
    New York
    image.jpg I just recently moved into the electric guitar world from acoustic, so Im not too familiar with the technical parts of working with electric guitars (though i have done extensive research before and after buying one).

I have the "Fender Deluxe Series Nashville Telecaster" and this guitar is supposed to have 3 vintage noiseless pickups (2 teles 1 strat) but it makes this awful hum/buzz anyway. When I touch any metal part of the guitar the buzzing is reduced (not fully however), and when I turn the volume knob down the noise is completely gone. Now, Ive read that this is a common grounding issue but this is the part where my knowledge gets fuzzy. How would I check if i have a problem somewhere? If i do have a problem, how do i fix it? Do i talk to my local guitar store? Also, when i first got the guitar, i tried to take some plastic off of the neck pickup but it was so toughly wrapped around that i had to pull fairly hard to get it out and the pickup was being pulled with it. I loosened the screws to make it easier. Eventually i got it out, and i tried screwing the screws back in but i didnt really know how i tight i had to make them. So does what i did affect my problem in any way? If it does or doesnt, please help me because The noise is really bothersome and i heard that it slightly affects the tone.

2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Even guitars with humbuckers will do what you're describing if you turn it up loud enough, where it quiets down when you touch the strings. If it is excessive, or loud with a clean sound at moderate/low volume, then I'd investigate further, but a little bit of this especially with distortion and /or high volume is normal. It may increase or decrease depending on the electrical situation in the place you are at.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's important to understand that the designation of noiseless for certain pups doesn't really mean anything. They're still just pups, and part of the entire "circuit" where noise is a possibility anywhere for any number of reasons.

I have Fender Gen1 Noiseless in my MIM Thinline, and they're damn quiet.

But I have one from Column A and two from Column B cheap Chinese pups in 5 of my partscasters...

And those guitars are every bit as quiet.

I have ONE though which is a real hummer...literally...when you're not touching the strings or bridge. (Esquire, ashtray cover.) And there is no scientific reason why that I've uncovered so far. But who plays not touching the strings anyway?

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Another thing:

Much noise can be attributed to the length and quality of your cable...how you're positioning the guitar in relation to your amp (angle, facing, etc.)...the specific power outlet you're using (try different ones in your apartment/house...the proper grounding of your amp plugged into those outlets (an outlet problem)...and several other variables.

Don't get too aggravated over it just yet. You'll figure it out.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Generally, that 'touching the strings and the noise reduces' reveals the guitar is correctly grounded. However, two main noise paths enter, the first is Fender uses a pair of single wires from the jack to the controls (replace with shielded cable) and cavity shielding (use Nashua aluminum flashing tape from the local hardware). One will reduce half the noise, the other the remainder. Youtube search for the how-tos.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My Esquire is direct to Jack. No switch or knobs.

Are you saying that using shielded to the jack will eliminate the hum?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.