Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help needed for belt sander repair

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Mar 31, 2017.

1. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    John - Its warming up now. I'm just here to bring you back to the Depot page.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wait a minute, Mark, we weren't done with John here yet!:lol::lol:

MM73 likes this.

3. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    I'm fishing for guitar build updates. John's threads used to be a pretty reliable fishing hole.

I've got nothing worthwhile to show from myself. So, if I gotta go find folks and pull them back in, then that is what I gotta do. By my reckoning, John's shop upgrades have run its course for the year.

I would try to drag you back as well, but an extended victory lap is in order after the Sir Andrew. I suppose you have built up sufficient "build thread equity" to get a pass for a while.

4. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

I have the same Craftsman sander. Pawn shop special. On mine, the bronze bushings on one of the belt wheel axles were shot. I found a couple replacements at Farm and Fleet, they fit the axle, but the od was too fat for the wheel. So, I pounded them onto a dowel and chucked them in the drill press. Using a mill file, I got them turned down to fit. That's the fun part. The hard part for me is always getting it back together without any extra parts on the bench. Tracks and adjusts fine now.
    Then, the cheap pot metal stud that holds the adjustable table in front of the disc was rotted away so it would no longer hold where I put it. Had to drill and tap a little stud to fit in there. Not perfect, but it should stay where I put it now.
    I love fixing stuff.

5. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Mark,

I did some actual guitar work in the garage this weekend. Need so time to write about it.

Trouble is I'm flying out for vacation on Wednesday and watching my teen aged daughter while wife is already gone... mom is far better at dealing with my daughter...

I'll be back on the Home Depot page soon.

MM73 likes this.

6. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

There are probably some local teen-age boys around who are willing to watch your daughter. I'm sure everything will be just fine. What could possibly go wrong?

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Indeed, John's posts in general are worth a look, especially the build ones.
    Great to know I got some equity built up! :cool:

I am still trying to clean up after Sir Andrew, and organize my tool chest while I'm at it, and it's been slow going. I have to admit there is an emotional component to it that makes it a bit hard to "put Brainy away", as though it will mean he's really gone when I get it all sorted. The opposite is even more nonsensical, as though Andy somehow continues to live in the clutter of that build. Have to get on with it.
    Next build probably won't be too terribly interesting, I'm going to build my Jag at long last, pretty much straight up, but maybe a twist or two to make it interesting.

MM73 likes this.

8. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The teenaged boys around here are afraid of my daughter, she's 5' 8" and a brown belt in karate!

The boys would be in trouble if I let her loose on them!

9. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Wow! Thank you for the compliment! It's is greatly appreciated.

It seems that motivation is a bit of a problem for me as well, although the reasons may be different.

Something strange has happened to me.. I want to build lots of guitars! Currently there are 6 builds in some stage of progress.

To make it even more interesting, a couple of them are of my own "design". Sure, just like every other guitar out there, it is derivative of what came before, but the part that excites me now is not to build "clones" of other builders. I know that's not really a popular sentiment, but it's what I like.

Wether that's alternative materials or mixing aspects of guitars I really admire all together... my thoughts are based on whatever excites me to get out and build.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next guitar you start Rick... always learn something. Along with being entertained!

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to my next guitar, too. Even though it's gonna be pretty much a bog-standard Jaguar, maybe a few variants like zero fret, color and finish, maybe some other. I hope it's not too entertaining, although it will be my first offset build, who knows what might ensue?

John Nicholas likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.