Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Help needed for belt sander repair

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Mar 31, 2017.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Another Craigslist find.

Yesterday I bought a sanding belt and sanding discs to get this new find ready for use.

[​IMG]

The sanding disc plate was loose, so I took it apart.

[​IMG]

It turns out that the drive pulley is badly worn! It's made of some type of plastic and after checking on Sears Direct this part is no longer available!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas on where to get some sort of replacement?

Or do I try to make one out of wood???

2. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
  3. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    If it works, I wouldn't worry about it, that thing might be fine for years the way it is. Congrats on the new toy!

6. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Hey John, contact Marc Rutters, he is a machinist. Maybe he can make one out of derlin- Heck you could do that.

good luck,

Jim

7. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Do you have someone with a cnc near you?

8. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    make new teeth with small cardboard forms & jbweld...

no need for perfection; just has to grab belt a bit more

OR...maybe shoot 3 or 4 short hex head screws next to each other = one tooth?

I'm thinking do the screws, and if ng, you could still build them up with epoxy

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  10. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Marty, You are a super star!!

The sizes of the Grizzly are so close that I ordered both pulleys and drive belt.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

11. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Well the good news is the stuff arrived from Grizzly and the gears are some sort of metallic substance. Probably Chinesium.

The not so good news is the shafts on my sander are splined (the gears are smooth bore). The other small "issue is there are flat sides of the inner bore of the gears.

Sure I could file down flat spots on the shafts or have the inner bores run on a lathe, but I'm not so sure this is a worthwhile goal.

IMG_2038.JPG

So, my thought was to just use it as it is, see if the tool is something that will work for me. If it does, this sander will be sold and I'll buy the Grizzly.

That is unless someone has a better idea!! :D

LeftFinger likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    If the new cogged pulleys are a good fit for the sander's shafts except for the flat spot, and have good-sized setscrews, and the belt is a good fit, I think I'd try boring, filing, or having a machine shop drill out the inside flats of the pulleys so they'll go onto the sander's shafts. Crank the setscrews down, maybe even file a small flat on the shafts for the setscrews to bear on.

Sorry it didn't turn out as clean a solution as it first looked to be. That little sander would ba a nice addition to your shop.

LeftFinger likes this.
  13. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Rick, thanks for the support!

There are a few "issues" with the gears. First they do not have set screws, so they would have to be drilled and tapped. Second the shafts are splined and the gear bore is smooth. I could bore out the inner bore, but to be honest, the flat spot would help keep the gears in place.

The trouble is I can spend my time messing with this sander or building guitars. Since it's finally warm enough to build guitars, that's really what I want to do.

The sander sort of works the way it is, sometimes it turns, but at other times the motor turns but the belt does not, so it's not really reliable to use as is.

Thing is if I invest the time to drill, tap, buy set screws, then file flat spots in the shafts, it still may not work.. if it was winter and too cold to work in the garage, it'd be a no brainer, but for now it goes on the back burner. Too bad the back burner list is so long!!

Still need to build the router table cabinet, sanding station cabinet and under bench cabinets...

Plus there are 6 guitar builds in process!! I must be nuts!

14. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    LOL, well, I guess boredom won't be a problem for you, at least for a while! Time is absolutely irreplaceable, so ya got to pick n choose carefully. I wonder if a few wraps of the cloth type friction tape on the old cogs would give you enough purchase? Simple, quick, and easy.

15. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    John maybe a possible solution............i.e. mount pulley in correct positions, drill hole through to shaft (slightly into the shaft) , do the same on other side .......tap both holes and fit a tapered grub screw both sides. Should be stronger than Tarzan as long as the chinesium holds up. The belt will still work ok as long as the grub screws are below the level of the bottom of the teeth. Looks like there is a bit of meat where the shaft goes through.

DC

16. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    No boredom is not in the cards for me... very ambitious with this new obsession! Guitar building is addictive!

I guess trying to wrap some tape around the lower gear could work. It's just that I'm funny about doing half-baked fixes for tools...

I do appreciate you offering the idea though!

17. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Hi Dave,

That's a good idea, mine was about halfway there...

The only trouble is like I mentioned, I'd rather work on guitars for a while then mess around with this tool that may or may not be useful for my guitar building. Especially when I can be guitar building instead!!

Thank you!

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Oh, but that tool can be useful in guitar building. I used mine to help shape the heart pieces in the Sir Andrew headstock inlay (see my avatar, left), and if you cut your own nuts from bigger pieces of material, helpful in shaping, or even sizing and shaping pre-cut nut blanks, rounding neck butt ends, lotsa stuff.

John Nicholas likes this.
  19. jgriffin

jgriffin TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Cumming, GA, USA
    If you are able to repair it, please post the procedure and results.

I bought the same sander from Goodwill for $20.00. I noticed the wobbly disc sander, but I changed the sanding belt thinking that I just wouldn't use the disk sander. It smoked so bad that I thought it caught fire. I never bothered to take it apart, so it was probably that poor belt shredding itself.

John Nicholas likes this.
  20. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    File a groove in the plastic and use a v belt. That's what I've done before

LeftFinger likes this.
  21. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Sure, talk me into it!

Really thanks, the sander will be fixed and used in some way.

It's really easy to open up the cover to see what's happening inside. Basically, pull off the table, remove the disc (you'll need a 3 to 4 inch 1/8inch allen wrench to loosen the set screw) then one Phillips screw to remove the cover.

Yes, I will post the procedure and results. While a few folks have offered "band-aid" fixes, those have never really worked out for me in the long run. When I fix it, I want it to be usable for years to come and to have a way to fix it again if my repair fails in the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.