Help!!! My neck moves

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, May 17, 2019 at 2:41 AM.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

With my first build I'm pretty much done with the build (body and neck Tele heel).

The neck fits nice and snug but not so tight that you need to force it in, just snug. I'd say good fit.

The body holes (5mm dia) are properly drilled so the bolts slide through (no bite) but tight.

My body is 3mm thicker than a standard Tele body i.e. 48mm and not 45mm so the bolts has 3mm less wood to bit into the neck heel.

Heel pocket is flat and 16mm deep
    Neck heel is flat (as far as I can tell)

When I screw in the 1 3/4 standard 4 bolts as tight as I can, there is ever so slightly up and down play - the neck creaks when I put bit of force (little) on the headstock).

After investigation I see the heel isn't seated flush near the edge - there's some bulging around the screw holes on the neck. I sanded it flush again fitted, still creaking, but before I doing anything more stopped - the heel around the holes hasn't bulged yet much, but I can't keep sanding the heel down, I'm almost out of play with the overhang f/b to the pickguard.

The neck wood is Sneezwood, similar qualities to maple and a propper hard wood.

Should I try source longer screws? How much longer can one screw into the neck (is there any thing to worry about with deeper screw holes into the neck?).
    My 2 piece neck is 19mm with a 6.5mm f/b = approx 25.5mm neck

What have I missed?
    What else can I consider?

2. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

So there’s actually movement? Or just the creaking sound?

Did you clamp the neck and body tightly before screwing in the bolts? Do you notice any problems when it’s clamped into place? Did you wax the screws?

Are you 100% sure everything is flat?

Good luck man, you’ll figure it out!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Stock US bolts are 4,2 mm , some Squiers use 5 mm screws.
    In the metric world , neck bolts are either 40 mm ( mainly Squiers with thinner body ) or 45 mm
    You could go to 5 mm screws , and get slightly longer ones.
    If you manage to find ones with finer " threads " , they will clamp harder at the same torque.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

The inside corners of the neck pocket can stop the neck seating right. They are a pita to sand out by hand. A Dremel makes an easy job of it.

5. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I now used a chisel to cut the pocket corners and removed any possible wood left in the corners - refitted, it still creaks :(

6. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

thx GPlo, didn't clamp the 2 together, but held tightly to mark for drilling the neck (it fits snugly so wasn't worried 'bout misalignment and happy with the fit). Bolts waxed yes.

OK so decided to longer screws following the advise from my local tech, so instead of the 1 3/4 long (45mm) I got 50mm wood screws. I noticed the thread is different, narrower spaced (is it called??) than the standard guitar neck screws, but standard for wood screws.

Drilling was an issue!!! 3mm pilot holes was too tight, 3.5mm was too tight, 4mm as too tight still!!!!!!!:eek:

So next step up was going with 4.5mm pilot holes for a 4.85mm bolt, but took the plunge.

The screw in easy, maybe a bit too easy, BUT it worked!!!! :):):)

The neck is secured, now only to find same screws that's countersunk for better looks

7. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Good to hear :) Good luck with finishing up your build. Please post video clips of the final result!

Slowtwitch likes this.
  8. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

You may want to leave well enough alone because you've threaded the holes using those screws.

Slowtwitch and t guitar floyd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.