Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Help me to identify genuine strat please!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by nevermind1567, Feb 10, 2013.

1. nevermind1567

nevermind1567 TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Moscow
    I'm going to buy used stratocaster and I want to be sure it's genuine american standard. The tuners were replaced with spetzel locking ones, and the bridge pickup - with SD minihumb. No papers included.
    I'll be able to carefully examine the guitar before buying. Is there something I'll have to pay close attention to?
    There are some shots of the guitar. What can you tell me about it? Any signs of partscaster?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    Looks legit. 1992 Fender Strat.

3. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I agree - a legit 1992 American Standard. I'm not seeing any other mods than the Sperzels and Duncan bridge pickup you mentioned.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

Nov 22, 2012
    somewhereville
  6. nevermind1567

Jul 14, 2011
    Moscow
    Thank you for helping me to decide! )
    I bought it. Right now it's standing next to me.
    Finally I own true American Stratocaster. )

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Congrats, she's a beauty.

8. nevermind1567

Jul 14, 2011
    Moscow
    Hello again.
    I've just noticed that my strat is veneer finished, and I'm pretty sure of it. The interior seams leave no doubts. Can't say I'm not disappointed...
    What do you think, how bad it is? Would you suggest replacing the body?

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Replace the body? No way, that one looks great! Don't worry about the multiple wood pieces and the veneer. It looks good and it is an electric guitar. I would be proud to own it.

11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    looks good to me, if it plays well too then absolutely nothing to worry about.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    They did veneer the bodies for several years. This was for cosmetic/cost saving reasons. It allowed them to make beautiful sunburst strats without having to use bigger (more expensive) pieces of wood. It's not uncommon at all. I wouldn't worry about it a bit. Those 90's Standards are great guitars. I have a '95 that the coroner will have to pry from cold dead hands before I'll part with it. Just play it and enjoy it man. Looks like a nice piece.

13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes, back then the sunbursts were veneered. It probably also has a swimming pool route. But do you really think that a non-veneered body will sound any different? I'd say just enjoy it. It's a very nice guitar and looks to be in excellent shape for a '92.

I have a '95 (lipstick red with rosewood board) in equally good shape. I have a Callaham trem block and saddles in but it's otherwise stock. It's a great guitar.

14. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I know Fender used veneer in that era, because there is a veneer on my 94. It's no big deal. However I'd be surprised if that one was veneer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.