Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Help me pick a second amp!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BigToeify, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

1. BigToeify

BigToeify Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2017
    California
    Here's what I have. I own a 5F1 and an Excelsior. I love my 5F1 and have been underwhelmed with the Excelsior. I was hoping for a something that it didn't deliver. I don't want to go through the money and hassle of picking a new speaker, new tubes and a tone mod just to chase a sound thats not there. So I have three amps in mind for a new addition. The 68' Princeton Reverb Reissue, 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue and the Vox AC15. As present I do not gig and haven't for almost 10 years, although that doesn't mean I won't in the future. I want an amp the can give me that great Fender clean sound with decent headroom. If I want dirt I have a TS and a Klone. I am looking primarily for it to be a home use amp with occasional studio sessions. BUT the thought of playing live at some point in the future is gnawing at me in the back of my mind. So I don't want to count that possibility out. Tone is of the utmost importance and versatility second. I have heard people say the Princeton may not be enough for some gigs? What kind would that be. Every gig I ever played in clubs they mic'd up the amps. Except for a few where we only had a vocal PA. How loud does the DRRI have to go for me to have a nice Fender clean?. If I keep it at say 2 or 3 will the tone not be there. Versus using the PR that has less watts and can get more tone with less volume. Then there is the Vox AC!5 that has a completely different sound but still great chime. I primarily play rhythm guitar. Sorry for the long winded story. Please advise.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Buy a Phaez amp. Love mine. Best amp I've had so far.

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    California
    The Princeton will be fine if it's mic'd, just might not have the headroom but there's alot of factors at play there. The DRRI is pretty sweet and playing around 3 it has all the chime you expect from it. I use the drri as a home only amp and it mostly sits between 2 or 3 as to not drive anyone crazy, sounds great. Dirt pedals will sound best at higher volumes, so closer to 3 or more. Lower than that and it loses alot of character. AC15 is also pretty good, the one I had was equipped with the pretty awful warfdale speaker and the reverb was pretty awful. Cool to see the new ones have greenbacks, that's a huge improvement. I think the Princeton would be great for you as a mostly home/studio amp or gigging with it mic'd (just much less headroom). If headroom is an issue, the drri is a good choice too.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Vox isn't gonna give you Fender clean, it's gonna give you Vox clean. Nice, but different. If you want clean headroom too, I'd rule out the AC15C1 and '68 Princeton RI based on when they're gonna start breaking up. Out of the three amps listed it looks like the DRRI is the only logical choice.

E5RSY and Ira7 like this.
  6. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i have an ac30cc2x and really love it...and i dont think you can go wrong with the ac15. i agree, however, that the reverb in these vox amps could be better. (i use a reverb pedal)
    the DRRI is also an awesome amp and plenty loud for whatever you want to do. i think it has one of the best clean tones out of any amp ive heard, and it can also get pretty nasty when you add an overdrive.
    oh yeah, one thing i dont like about the vox custom series (not the custom classic) is the cabs arent made with the birch ply....they have that other pressboard type stuff, and i just dont like that.

7. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    Stay away from Fender. i've had half a dozen new Fenders and they all quit working from 2 weeks to 2 years. Worst amps on the planet. Sure they have a warranty, but here in Dallas it takes 2 months for repairs.

mtown likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    All the lower-cost new mass-production amps have this issue. Try getting Vox problems fixed under warranty. Ditto Marshall (same company) unless you buy the pricier Custom Shop/handwired amps.

For the OP - if you want Fender Clean and it must be a new amp, the DR is OK, just OK, but you'll be on '2' at home. The Silverface 'Custom' PR is better, but you may need to mic it for live. Depends on what and where you play and with whom.

I'd suggest a good 5E3 clone if you like the 5F1 but that's not close to BF Fender clean. The AC15 - not unless you're talking Handwired with Alnico Blue and then it's not clean and no 'verb. The AC15 CC series is made in China and OK, but not Fenderey at all and digital verb, which may or may not be an issue. As someone said too, borderline not loud enough for a band with headroom. I'd go with the cheaper AC10 and a mic if that was the case, sounds pretty good.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This took the words right out of my mouth.

The DR is the only one listed that's going to be able to do all things at all times.

10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Yep, the DRRI is classic Fender blackface. 22 watts is small enough to play at home, just hitting the sweet spot in a small club, and can be mic'd if more noise is required. To my ear, the DRRI's 12" speaker has it all over the Princeton's 10" speaker.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    All low cost mass production amps do not have this problem. Neither of my 'cheap' ACs have had any issue two years in, and often played a "7" on the dial to be loud enough. And here we ar dissing Fenders again, unfounded, from a reliability perspective.
    If I wanted 'clean at volume' I'd go Deluxe or even 30watt Traynor.
    Bear in mind extension cabs do wonders.

12. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I'm a fan of vintage if that's an option for you. Otherwise, do you have the opportunity to place each of the aforementioned amps? Let your ears make the decision.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I have AC15c1 w cremeback.
    Swop preamp V1 for a quality 12AX7 ( I changed all the pre amp tubes to TungSol and the EL84 duet to JJ) and do the Mod Reverb tank swap ( $20 /5 minutes) and you got yourself a rhythm guitar chime box.
    Be patient with the Celestion, long break in time.
    Boutique tone, killer. Quiet to loud slays it all and loves quality OD pedals!! Unless you are jumping the normal and topboost channels (I don't) make sure the channel you are not plugged into is turned to zero! The topboost treble comes up quick / super sensitive and the tone cut is the AC15 secret weapon.

Mine gets over an hour of work every day and has been perfect. Same tubes I swopped out 3 yrs ago, dead quiet at idle. Just perfect.

Edit: There is nothing Fender about it but sounds like you got that covered

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    heltershelton likes this.
  14. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Picking from your list, DRRI. THE Fender sound.

Picking from my list, Twin Reverb. The OTHER Fender sound :lol:

jwp2 and Ricky D. like this.
  15. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Boo hiss....

E5RSY likes this.
  16. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Boy....I'd want to buy all three!!
    Given those three, it would be hard, but would have to give another vote for Fender DRRI. You can tinker with the tubes, speaker, mod. etc. for fine tuning if you are as OCD as I am about tone.

17. heltershelton

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    did your 15 seem to warm up and have a bit more headroom with the jj power tubes? i put all jj's in my 30 and i really liked the warmer tone i got. and please tell me about the reverb tank swap....i dont really like the reverb on my 30. theres a guy over at ST with an ac15 and he posted a pic of his settings...said he finally found the perfect settings on the thing (for him anyway). heres the pic he posted.
    AC15 Lead Settings 2.jpg

hrstrat57 likes this.
  18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I found the power tube duet swap to have the least effect on AC15 tone of the changes I made. The Mod tank swop and V1 12ax7 upgrade impact on tone was staggering!!!

The setting you show would produce good tone in my amp except the Normal channel volume must be zero if plugged into TopBoost.

I use the tone cut a lot depending on room and guitar. It's the best variable on the amp to my ears....

I bought the MOD tank on Amazon you just need the part number off the stock tank. The MOD web site is helpful.

I have the stock Reverb tank thrown in a box somewhere. PM me if u need the part number and I'll dig thru the parts box for you.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM
  19. heltershelton

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    ok, thank you. so the reverb tanks in both amps are the same?

20. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Tone isn't volume, reguarding the above.

21. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Ahhh misread u have AC30!

Dunno if it is same but I'm sure MOD has an upgrade. Check the website..... or post a thread here re the AC30 surely someone has done the swop!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.