Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help me pick a body

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ongo Gablogian, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    Hey guys and gals!

I’ve got a Warmoth Tele neck and I’m looking for a body to go with it that will hopefully be of high quality but also a good value. I love the traditional Tele look, feel and sound but I don’t get along with Fender scale length.

Neck specs: Gibson Conversion scale, 1 5/8 nut width, 59 roundback profile. Maple on maple.

I’ve been strongly considering a loaded body from Stratosphere, either Am Pro or Baja 60s. Do you folks have any suggestions or thoughts?

2. Ongo Gablogian

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    Any thoughts at all gang?

3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    It sounds like you have a pretty great plan already.

I’m a little partial to the tele deluxes and customs. Esquires are also real fun, but would require more messing with stuff.

4. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    https://reverb.com/item/6764813-sel...ntage-tele-body-fits-oem-nitrocellouse-finish

Nothing to disclaim as I have no affiliation. I was considering a partscaster a while back. Thought their pieces looked really impressive and heard good things from others on here. I ended up not doing a partscaster though so never laid my hands on one.

Edit: Just saw your neck might be of different dimensions. No idea how that would work. Sorry.

6. Ongo Gablogian

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m currently leaning towards a loaded Baja 60s body. From what I’ve read, the fit and finish on these are nice. Folks also seem to like the switching. Any particular reason not to go this route?

7. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    What is your budget? Are you longing for a traditional Tele body, (ala two single coil routes) or perhaps deal buckers, dual P-90's, Tele single coil bridge with a neck single coil/buckers/P-90/Gold Foil?

Body wood? Pine, Ash, alder, Mahogany, Cyprus, Cedar?

8. Ongo Gablogian

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    I’d like to spend less than $600 for the body and hardware. Probably alder body with traditional setup or possibly a p-90 in the neck.

9. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    This might be too rusty 4U but I like this body style.

2111716826_3c011462e6_b.jpg
    Just Kidding....

Other than that Ive been dreaming "Deluxe"

lki9bb33ozvdktaxyxpt.jpg

This piece of ash would really look good with that conversion neck

10. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    You can get a finished MIM Tele body from Fender for $169.....

11. Ongo Gablogian

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    I considered that, but it looks like all of the white ones are sold out at the moment. Also once you add in all of the hardware and pickup it'll be about the same.

It's down to either a loaded Vintage 50s RI body with nitro finish or a loaded Baja 60s body. So what it comes down to is do I want the nitro finish or the upgraded pickups and switching? I'm leaning towards the nitro.

12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I'm probably not gonna pull the trigger yet as I have other things to be paying for at the moment, but I've been eying those two exact bodies you're looking at on Stratosphere.

13. Ongo Gablogian

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    Great minds think alike. I really am torn between the two. Which one are you leaning toward?

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Undecided. I don't really need a loaded body though. That is my issue. If there weren't loaded I'd be much closer to pulling the trigger.

15. Ongo Gablogian

Mar 4, 2018
    US of A
    Well I finally gave in and grabbed the Vintage 50s RI body. I figure it’s much easier to swap out electronics rather than refinishing a guitar.

2blue2 likes this.

16. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    An MJT body off eBay. Most go for $220-275 but can be had under $200 occasionally. Gorgeous bodies.

17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

2blue2 likes this.

18. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    ohhhh, I mis-read it - I thought you were looking for help w/ Moving and Hiding a body
    o_O

19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Wow, less than $600? How about pretty much any freekin' body you'd want, and it would be wrapped in a bow too. :lol::lol:

Part of the fun of partscasters is loading the body yourself with whatever you want to put in it. So the dilemma over a baja body I didn't quite understand. I totally get any aversion to an unfinished body, painting and finishing this stuff is hit and miss, er, an art form. But their 4-way switching is just a dedicated part and some wiring mods, that's it. And their pickups should be, I believe, twisted tele's in the neck and, maybe, broadcaster in the bridge. Good pickups, but then you miss the fun of selecting your own kind of pups for it.

That finished RI body will be great. You can put the Baja wiring in it if you want, just by ordering the correct switch.

20. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

B95EBEB7-D798-42F9-8FE7-E2985D9B2BCE.jpeg A favorite body from my youth....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.