Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help me identify this guitar - 60s hollow body (apparently)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dublingerry, Jan 7, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I love that guitar! Of course that could change if I actually worked on it or played it.

Have you confirmed the body is plastic? I'm curious about that.

And yeah, I wouldn't judge the pickups until I got a proper nut and bridge on the guitar. And low output is not necessarily a bad thing.

jvin248 and dr_tom like this.

2. dublingerry

dublingerry TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Dublin
    Yep the body is plastic. Actually see through with a bright light behind it.

And when I say the pickups are low output I mean almost inaudible. The acoustic volume/microphonic volume/electromagnetic volume were all roughly similar.

Or rather - they WERE almost inaudible because replacing the old magnet with a new one from a humbucker has transformed this into what is now a viable guitar - i can even live with the microphonic quality now that the actual pickup output is much greater it adds a certain sound - like a dobro with reverb - that is quite pleasant. And fixing the other two pickups should be relatively easy.

So now the plan is:
    - replace the nut with a hand carved bone nut (god I hate the smell of bone being cut with a Dremel...)
    - replace the bridge with the one which LowThudd linked to (or similar if I can find one in UK or Europe which doesn't cost a couple of extremities)
    -purchase 3 Alnico5 humbucker magnets - the humbucker size is perfect for this because it is a little taller and pushes the wire grate cover up just a bit nearer the strings.

I've given up on the idea of refinishing, partly because I think it has it's own inimitable Soviet charm, but mainly because I suspect covering it with Nitro will lead to a guitar-sized puddle of goo where the guitar used to be...

Now, if only I could work out a way to actually make the pickup height adjustable...

Quinn23 likes this.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    It might take that long to here. Sometimes not. lol

Have a look on the UK eBay. They probably have the same bridge for a few dollars more in the UK. They have the same bridge on the US ebay for $10+.

To find that, I just did a search in ebay guitars section for 'floating bridge' and that is the first thing that popped up. Just found this also. A tune o on a archtop base for $10. Might be able to find them in the UK for a bit more. It's all the same stuff, there are just middlemen who buy and resell it. lol http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=132407992892

On mine, I had the roller bridge in my parts bin, and I used the existing bridge base from the guitar, removed the rosewood saddle and moved the adjuster posts to fit the roller bridge. I like the roller bridge because it seems to keep the floater from moving somewhat. Especially when installing strings. But any tune o would work with some hand fitting.

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    dublingerry likes this.

5. dublingerry

dublingerry TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Dublin
    Thanks for that. The big problem buying from the US is shipping costs. That second bridge you indicate is $18 but the shipping to Ireland is $17.

Buying Chinese stuff from the UK is different - shipping costs not so great but, man, they jack the price up - sometimes treble the cost when you include shipping.

I'm used to buying cheap parts from China but as much as possible try to deal with Hong Kong as it seems to me that stuff goes missing less often from there. Of course the Chinese sellers will always return your money if the goods don't arrive (anything to avoid negative feedback) but when you've waited 8 weeks for some part, getting your 10 bucks back doesn't really help - you still need the part.

I buy a lot from www.eyguitarmusic.com - I've found them pretty cheap, quick and reliable. Although they don't have the bridge part I want in this case, so it's off to eBay...

LowThudd likes this.

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Progress! I'm fascinated by this, and learning a lot, and will be following along, thanks.

7. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    I would strongly consider a hammer & sickle headstock decal (or at the very least a red star).

8. dublingerry

dublingerry TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Dublin
    Red star is a great idea!

LowThudd likes this.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Cool on repairing the pickups. I'd just polish some of the scum off with the mildest cleaner wax, and hit the neck with an oil based finish like Minwax and let it cure. Lots of options for a peghead ornament - stars, hammer and sickle, bears, a mig, Gorbachev head...and the mandatory "Back in the USSR" theme song..now I want one.

Minimalist518 and dublingerry like this.

10. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    Great to hear that You have progress with "the thing". You should also start to bring up the possibility, that this could be for example "Boris Jeltsins old guitar". It may be true or not, but possible anyway..? It is about the strangest guitar I've ever heard of, so this kind of "extra story" will nicely boost the whole thing... :D

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    What about the capacitors on those pickups? They probably need replacing and could also be a culprit in the bad sound.

12. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    Capasitors... mmm.. my favorite subject.
    Normally with the power supply section there's been some large capasitors, that might get a bit "dry" as years go by. This causes "hum", that will most likely disappear after replacement.
    But capasitors in a guitar are way different in value. This kind of small capasitors were hardly ever faulty some 15 years ago. Then someone propably invented a way to produce capasitors just a little bit cheaper and here we are; any new electrical equipment won't operate more than 5-7 years, because of the cheap modern capasitors.
    But, in this "plastic russian wonder" the capasitors are probably so old, that they will work just fine long after "I'm gone".
    Anyway, they are so cheap, that You can change them to be sure, but actually I would not be worried about the capasitors (if there even were any?).
    If the sound is weak, try to raise the pickups or put some beter magnets on the bottom and if the sound is too dark, put in some bigger potentiometers? 500k or 1M. Have You btw measured any dc resistance of the pickups? Would be interesting to know what kohms they are..?

"Is this the same instrument that Mr. Jeltsin wildely played in his youth..?"

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Quinn23 likes this.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

15. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England

16. dublingerry

dublingerry TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Dublin
    Read my posts above - I've already bypassed any issue with the guitar electronics as I connected one pickup directly to a jack plug and connected it directly to the amp. Always a good way to test a pickup.

17. dublingerry

dublingerry TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Dublin
    I'm VERY tempted to drill a small indent in the headstock, insert a small piece of brick or concrete, fill the hole with clearcoat and tell people it is a genuine piece of the Berlin Wall...

LowThudd and cabra velha like this.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I was speaking of the caps attached to the pickup you showed in the pic and not any that were attached to pots. Are they one in the same or different?

awasson likes this.

19. dublingerry

dublingerry TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Dublin
    Oh sorry, no they are not caps, just a little piece of tubing to shield the wiring connection. Heatshrink obviously being a tool of degenerate and corrupt consumerist societies.

LowThudd and Minimalist518 like this.

20. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.