Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help me find a delay pedal...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jguitarman, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    I just joined a rockabilly band and I need a quality delay pedal. I have a Boss but it colors the tone and I'm not liking it.
    Suggestions are much appreciated.

2. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    This is the beginning of a long story you're startin' here.

3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Flashback 2, it has the option for remote tap tempo, and will do just about any delay sound you want. The 2290 is glorious!!! Not really a rockabilly sound though.

Felino likes this.

4. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    I could list all the delay pedals I like and sure others will to, but I would focus on the features your want first and then go from there.

Features I focus on:
    Tap-tempo
    Modulation
    Delay voicing (tape, analog, digital, etc)
    Single, Dual, Quad

5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    For a slapback rockabilly delay, any analog pedal should work fine. I used to own an Echoplex EP1, which is the very first model and is all tube... the holy grail if you're into '50s stuff. And guess what? Sounded no different than my analog boss pedal.

Just back it off so it's not very loud, single repeat – a little goes a long way. Anything more will make what you play sound like a big echo'y mess to the audience.

I'll add that the Echoplex LOOKED a whole lot cooler though... which counts for a lot in the rockabilly world!

bacongrease and Alamo like this.

6. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Which Boss Delay is it? they are often seen as quality devices.
    maybe it's in the settings?

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Coolness challenge ... accepted!

[​IMG]

8. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    It's theDD7. I was in analogue mode with the effects level at noon and feedback and delay at 1:00.

9. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Eventide Timefactor.... Absolutely the best and most versatile delay pedal I have ever owned.

10. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Analog mode on Boss is intended to color the tone. Darker repeats. You should try the digital setting on it
    before giving up on it. For slap digital may actually sound more to your taste.

thefruitfarmer, MilwMark and Alamo like this.

11. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I'd recommend the Boss DM 3 but that might give you the same color as the DD7 analog. The clean setting on the DD7 doesn't give you what you want, I guess?

12. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Ah yeah, I can see how that colours your sound. DD7 is a good and versatile pedal, imo.
    I use a Boss DD2 at real bottom feeder levels. 9 o'clock or so. you can hardly hear it but its there alright.

Like he said:

13. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

May 2, 2017
    SF
    Caline Blue Ocean - cheap too

14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    TC Flashback. Analog dry through will not color your tone - even when it's on. And all the delay sounds are solid. Not compelling, but solid. It'll do all kinds of slapback.

bacongrease likes this.

15. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I love my MXR Carbon Copy. Sounds Organic not digital

Fiesta Red likes this.

16. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I disagree with the other gentleman about an analog delay sounding like an echoplex. I mean it's all kind of close enough, but if it's not working for you, you might be picky, like me.

"Analog delay" in the pedal world refers to something with a bucket brigade chip, which doesn't work or sound like a tape echo. I would use a straight digital setting on the DD7 for slapback. A well functioning tape echo has very little degradation on the first repeat, and this is all a slapback is. Not that a digital delay slapback will sound like a tape echo slapback, but it will get you closer than a digital model of a lo fi 70s bucket brigade chip.
    For reference, I have used an EP-3 echoplex, a malekko 616 and a few other BBDs ("analog delay"), a catalinbread belle epoch (digital "echoplex style"), and the Boss DD-6. DD-6 does a great slapback.

MilwMark likes this.

17. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

If your amp has significant gain then any delay pedal will often not sound that great in front of the preamp. If your amp has an effects loop you might see how that sounds.

schenkadere likes this.

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Save your money. What you're looking for is in the DD7...you just need to find it.

gtrguru, waparker4 and MilwMark like this.

19. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    This is true!

20. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Line 6 DL4. Best delay I've ever had. And it has tube and tape echo for great rockabilly tone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.