Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help me choose the Wisest Fretwork Tools

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tritono, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Tritono

Tritono TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Mental Multiverse
    Im in the same way. Creativity and intelligence can give to you the property to imagine the future. Is better to take good decisions in life, like buy good tools. Sometimes is difficult because there are so much variables, but is better to have the option to imagine the variables that dont. Though the equilibrium is the more wise side. Im just a student for now so I cant go wrong.

Yeah, debating you get some important information. I think the beveler is very expensive but useful. The only thing that worries me is about the 35º angle because I dont know if the angle suits to my needs. Something that ash mentioned and I consider important is that for beveling you need to level the edge of the frets to the fretboard edge, if 35º is too much when the edge of the frets touch the wood the angle maybe will much invasive inside the frets. Mmm.

Im from Chile, the end of the world. For this reason Im limited regarding possibilities from where to buy. What grids of sandpapers do you people use to level fretboards and frets? 80, 120, 240, 320? just 240 and 320? I read that the more abrasive sandpapers will leave deep scratches in frets.

:confused:

2. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    The more abrasive papers will leave scratches. The idea is that as your get near to level you start progressing to finer grades before you have removed metal without purpose.

120 to 320 to cover things... and for most purpose 120 will not be required.

Tritono... ask yourself if there is a more common tool that will acomplish the same job. Or a tool that perform many tasks. I understand your reasoning perfectly... because getting these tools will be a hassle... but you have time.

I would buy this tool... before the fret beveler:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/S...ing/Quarter-round_Fret_File.html?read=reviews

3. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    ok i see where your at with the fret beveler.
    might not be the best tool for this.

4. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    i figured that tool was a given though right?

5. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    It is in my mind...

I have some of the others... it is difficult to really dress fret ends nicely without carving up the board. I have one on the way here... tomorrow or Friday. I'll give y'all a report.

6. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    well that file is designed to do crowning, can it do end dressing as well or not so much?

7. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    I guess I don't see it as a crowning file... the advantage I see is be able to have flat on the fretboard and being able to "arc" or "swing" around the fret ends. And there is no tool like it.

8. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    is it not a crowning file though?

9. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Their advertising doesn't really hype it as one.

See with a normal fret crowning file, I have the diamond one... it is easy to hike the angle up high... like 45 degrees and take the burr off the end of the fret (after beveling). But this only works on the center 1/3 of the fret. That "1/4 round" file would take care of the outer thirds of the fret ends... the "sides" so to speak.

10. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    do you really have to bevel after a fret leveling?

11. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Well... not if there already beveled.

I've done plenty of leveling on old frets... never needed something like the 1/4 round file. It you're removing that much material... you need new frets.

12. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    i figured with the 1/4 file your just covering more of the exposed fret while using the board to keep things steady. am i looking at it wrong?

13. Tritono

Tritono TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Mental Multiverse
    I will go with the Diamond File because it not leaves marks in the frets. The Off Set model works in the higher frets without need to disamble the neck. Hey Rich do you have a list? Im about to buy. We are in the same situation, Im curious about your list. Share it :D

14. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    The diamond file will leaves scratches equal to 320 grit sandpaper... it is the best tool though. You still have to polish with finer snadpaper... but that is easy.

15. Tritono

Tritono TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Mental Multiverse
    Thank you ash. Good to know, but is a good thing leave the less possible scratches to get the most of the frets with a soft feel.

Hey ash what are your complete gear for fretwork?:D

16. Tritono

Tritono TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Mental Multiverse
    I have the last question regarding the Diamond Off Set File 300 Grid: with that tool can I crown the fret leaving only a very very tiny line (land) in the center of the fret? I will use Jescar 110x57 and I need to leave just a very small land for the string because personal preference. No problem with that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.