Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help me choose the Wisest Fretwork Tools

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tritono, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Tritono

Tritono TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Mental Multiverse
    Right, that is the function plus the time saver beveling process. Rick, I think that we will need tro try the things to know about the actual tools. David Collins and more people said that: when you starts, then you learn about what do you need and what you dont need. I think I will add the beveler to the list.

2. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    i might be wrong but it makes more sense to me to bevel one whole sides at a time vs 1 fret at a time. times saver maybe? it would make them uniform im thinking.

3. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    You need to consider the geometry of a curved plane. Consider the fret plane as a series of long slender facets... you will realize that a wider tool will aid the process. With a narrow tool is is possible to cut the middle fret too much. A wider tool makes that impossible. Trust me... I have spent many hours of life sanding...

I didn't own the precision straight edge when I purchased the leveler. But I knew from looking at the coarseness (texture) of the grinding, that is probably wasn't flat.

4.4 lbs (2 kg) is enough to distort the object your are trying to sand.

If you have no choice, buy it. But I would search my local resources first... where are you???

I didn't return my tool because I dropped it (slippery and heavy)... plus it is not worth my time.

4. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Rick,

You're talking about what's called an interrupted cut on the fret ends. The fret end tool might be okay... but it won't work out all easy-breezy. That tool will stick, jam, and chatter until all the ends come down to about the same height.

Keep in mind, I like Stewmac, but some of their tools are just a bit much... and the quality and engineering is not always there. Look at the "fret rocker"... are you kidding me right now? To their credit... they have tough row to hoe... getting these tools out for the prices that they do and still make a living.

5. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    whats wrong with the fret rocker, i dont get it? have one setting right here?

6. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin

7. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Oh missed your other post...

At some point in the process, the file in the beveler MUST come in contact with the fretboard. You want to keep this contact to a minimum... no more than required to flush the fret end to the wood or the finish. But do you want to do this blind? One stroke you're perfect... one more stroke you went too far.

Most use diamond sanding plates for this... more control... less blind... zero chatter.

8. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Nothing is wrong with the fret rocker... but what would you use it for?

9. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    im comfortable with this. being in the automotive field so long im use to doing some jobs on feel alone. wet sanding and buffing small pieces and parts by hand i have a great feel for things like this.
    yes at some point it will come in contact with the board, maybe.
    thing is, its like cutting hair. a bit at a time. you can always take more off, but if you go to far being fast and aggressive...........:cry:

but we are talking about leveling not a refret job.
    the leveling wont take but a few passes and your done. refretting your gonna be removing more per job. yeah the pro shop might use diamond plates but
    small time 3 or 4 levels a yr, i wont be buying the diamond plates any time soon.

10. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Alright,

Evidently we've sanded some bondo. Picture the guy trying to get a trunk lid straight with a long board air file... as you watch the skin bounce up and down 1/2". That's why I don't like the 4.4 lb fret leveler.

11. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    find the high fret.

12. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    ok like buffing wet paint, some guys like a light buffer to do the job. me i like a heavy buffer. i let the tool to the work by its own weight.

13. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    Yes of course... but who doesn't have a credit card... or a feeler gauge... or a 6 inch rule?

And would you file down just one fret? Hell no... you'ld do the whole neck.

14. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    i dont think any of this stuff is set in stone.
    im sure some of the stuff ya might not use very much, but,
    i would rather have the tool and not need it than to not have a tool
    when i need it. :D

15. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    back to my theory of the right tool for the job. theres no guarantee those 6in or credit card is straight. a used credit card doesnt stay straight for long either lol.

16. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have the same problem... pretty sure I own wrenches and router bits that I'll never use... BUT, you know, I HAD to have "the set". Snap-On man's kids went to college on me I think...

I've really tried to to tone things down... buy the very best... and as little of it as possible.

17. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    And I agree about not set in stone. I think trying some of this stuff... and learning a bit as you go makes more sense. Go minimal, and let experience guide you along.

18. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    NW MO
    I forget where I got them, not stewmac, but I use round rods that fit over 3 frets at a time. I have 2 different length. I run the rod from one side of fret to the other and it will actually click if the middle fret is high at any point compared to the frets on each side of it. Handy to locate a high fret and also handy to check new to me necks for level frets. I mark the high spots on the high frets and then level. Sometimes I just level. I haven't messed a neck up yet, but when I do, then I will have to learn to install frets... ;)

I am a rookie and I am learning incrementally, as the need arises. I have been fortunate to have a lot of guitars pass thru my hands this winter, so I have gained experience and confidence leveling, crowning and polishing. Refretting is still on the yet to do list.

19. ricksconnected

Feb 3, 2011
    down south junkin
    yes i have thousands and thousand of $$ in snapon tools. thats why i believe
    "right tool for the job".

20. piece of ash

Dec 29, 2010
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think you and I suffer from the same malady (or high standards if you prefer).

My wife has gotten so used to it... I see a tool and put on an act of confusion and reluctance and ask her if I should buy it. She just smiles and says, " Well, you don't have one".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.