Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help me choose good country solid state amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Urban, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
  2. grant53

grant53 TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I was just going to say that. Just been playing my 86 which I just had 'retro-toned' by Stewart Ward, with my MIJ Tele (Lollar pickups added). It's crazy how good it sounds, and the resale value on these is nothing. It'll do country all day long.

Tony474 likes this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Another vote for old Peavey amps. My little '80's Peavey Backstage Plus is a workhorse. Sounds good and takes pedals well.

4. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    All good choices. I'm glad someone mentioned Kustom. Their SS heads were great for country. I would not hesitate to use one, and it would probably be my first choice, with a cabinet, if I could not find a good Peavey or Roland. I've never played through a Music Man SS amp, but their tube amps sound blissful for cleans. I'm intrigued to take a look at those Music Man SS or hybrid amps. I'll bet they are great!

5. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

"Old Peaveys" were made in the U.S.A..

6. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    I think there are several choices available for Solid state . And actually I found solid states to be a fantastic pedal platform . Country pedals would include compressor, some sort of overdrive , chorus , phasor and delay . I once heard a guy use a Baja tele plugged into a Roland cube and sounded fantastic great great country player and the sound was unbelieveable ! NO pedals just the built in effects of the amp. My other solid state choices would be any of the old Peavey amps. Fender Frontman 65 R if you can find them. Roland JC 120 . Fender Princton solidstates are plenty loud believe me . Some of the older Crate amps from the 80s had a great clean and built in Chorus . not to shabby overdrive but I'd use a pedal ! Best one I used to own was an 87 Backstage plus . 10 inch speaker and 50 watts it has the best clean tone without anything in front of it . Bottom line we can make recommendations but always let your ears make the final decision

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Almost. Five. Years.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Catch up. Hint: post #35.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh! In that case: Twin Reverb.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    I can vouch for a Mustang III.....very nice cleans and I've owned one for a few years now..the 1st version. Finding videos that do that do the amp justice are rare. Too many people put Mustang demo's up who haven't taken the time to discover the potential. I think this video is one of the few good ones.
    I also agree that many Peavey SS amps, such as a Bandit can sound amazing for country. Merle Haggard and Scotty Moore liked them !

ndcaster and Sollipsist like this.
  11. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    A solid-state Standel from the 60s is my idea of a country amp. Leave the tremolo on, and when the band leader tells you turn it off, tell him it's broken.

guitrr and drf64 like this.
  12. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2011
    London
    Quilter mini heads are great value and sound excellent. There's a few other that are slightly more expensive but well worth a look Koch Jupiter and DV Mark Guitar Friend II.

The Roland Cube sounds pretty good set to Tweed with the gain set low.

guitrr likes this.
  13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Wisconsin
    An old Peavey and a handful of pedals can do ANYTHING.

RedRock likes this.
  14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    Here's another interesting clean / sustaining tone with a tele and Mustang III

Sollipsist and Lef T like this.
  15. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Peavey Bandit amps. I saw one today on CL from the mid '80s with a Legend speaker for $111 and claimed to be working fine.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    I'm playing a bandmate's hybrid music man in my death rock band and that thing would sound great for country. I think they take a little more dialing in than fenders, and how snappy they are can take some getting used to, but once that's settled i'd feel pretty good about going all luther perkins on it with just about any single coil fender or equivalent. My one caveat is that the reverb isn't as nice or lush as on fender amps.

Pickcity likes this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Can twin Reverb have it's own code? Since the paradoxical answer to everything around her is TW, how about an emoji or number or something? maybe 80 for that 80 watts of clean, or 3, the volume number you dare not go above lest the neighbors call the police. or maybe a combo?

Let's practice:

Skippy: hey everybody, can you recommend a bedroom amp that takes pedals well and sounds good cranked but sounds good quiet too? Mom and dad sometimes like those rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got the Kiss records out days on Saturday mornings and their bedroom is right above mine. I don't want to disturb them.

My-Internet-Name-is-Shouts-at-Clouds: 3-80, little man. yer welcome.

18. guitrr

guitrr TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Apr 29, 2003
    Port Orange, FL
    Old (I.E. USA made) Peaveys are inexpensive, clean, loud, and eminently durable. My only gigging amp throughout the 1980's was a 130 Special, and it was practically bombproof. You can buy them for next to nothing.

Roland JC series

Quilter, both combos and mini heads.

19. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    -1 for the necro thread but +1 for the Mustang :)

I'm not crazy about most of the other amp models, but my Mustang is easily worth twice the price just for those Fender cleans. It sounds heavenly with anything that I've thrown at it, single or humbucker, passive or active.

Seriously, if all I ever needed was a good clean sound, I'd be done looking.

Jim Dep likes this.
  20. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Peavey Bandit, preferably a US-made red stripe 112. Built like a tank and nearly weigh as much too but outstanding bang/sound for the $ (IMHO of course)!!! Earlier Bandits (especially the 65) are good but the OD channel is a bit tough on the ears of a country player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.