Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help- I'm out of control and need an intervention!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I am the great enabler!

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Hah.

I'm not a pro player. If I were, I'd see it differently, for sure. For me guitars are joy. Cars are tools.

I buy all my guitars and cars used. Cars continue depreciating, though. A LOT faster than guitars.

Currently, I could sell my collection and buy three more cars, going by the price I paid for my current ride. That's about right: I only drive 3,000 miles a year, and I play guitar about 20 hours a week.

At some point, I may sell the collection, for stuff like assisted living. One sweet parlor guitar, in a nice room with sunlight streaming in? Today, I say no friggin way, but time has a way of making that look a lot better.

I'll get some good money for the guitars. Not so for the car.

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I'll drink to that!

Zepfan and Nickadermis like this.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    See the thread on perspective.

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    My wife and I are both obsessed with cars. Mine's somewhere north of 50K. I bought my wife an SLK for our 40th anniversary. 5 guitars and the one amp I use regularly are from 5 different countries and cost a little over 5, including the mods. I don't work on the cars myself except maybe to add washer fluid. I do almost everything on the guitars. The SLK was bought new. My car is a lease. I'm usually bored with a car three years in. I've never tired of a guitar, at least those purchased after my very extended hiatus. The guitars were all bought used. The amp, a Mesa Boogie 5:25 1X10 was an end of the model run clearance. I expect performance and cache from the cars and guitars both. I'm just as fussy about how a guitar plays and sounds as I am about how a car drives. That's what drives the mods. It just costs way less with guitars. Now truth be told, I've been called a car snob. I have standards for them that others may find insane. I'm not a guitar snob at all. I don't care about anyone else's gear but I still like to look. And I really enjoy listening to someone who plays well enough that I can learn from him, or her.

Guitaryellow likes this.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    There’s a Gearheads Anonymous meeting at my place, next weekend. Just leave all your stuff at the door, when you check in...it’ll be in good hands, honest ;)

Zepfan likes this.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You don't need an intervention, you just need a bigger crib.

8. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    I don’t have a drinking problem except when I can’t find a drink.

3fngrs and william tele like this.

9. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    RI
    Post pictures to help us visualize this "problem"

Piggy Stu likes this.

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I do have an Epi LP Custom, but I don't have an SG, Firebird, Gretsch, or anything with P90s. Fortunately, I use a modeling amp, so all those other effects are built in, and the only one I really use is delay. In response to some other comments- not enough room for cases or stands, they're all in gigbags leaning vertically against each other. No car, if I had that moneypit to worry about I wouldn't be able to afford any of this. Can't afford a bigger place, the only reason I can afford the place I have is 'cause I own it from inheriting some money when my Mom died. Otherwise, I'd be homeless in the park, or sharing a house with 15 college students. My income is only $1500 a month. So, can't afford a woman, even if I found one who wanted me, which ain't gonna happen. No other hobbies or interests. I live VERY frugally so I can afford this stuff. And I can't trust myself with credit cards, but I only use Paypal, so I don't put my debit card at too much risk. As for the weather here, it's 70-80 degrees 365 days a year, day or night.
    I can't believe how many actually earnest responses I got. You all realize this was meant as humor, right? An example of first world problems. I don't know about anyone else, but it kinda makes me feel guilty when 3/4 of the world's population are just trying to figure out how to get food and clean drinking water.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Omiewise65 and Piggy Stu like this.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm way too easily satisfied to chase gas...no matter what the "g" stands for....:D

Nickadermis likes this.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No pics, didn't happen. What you need is a camera!

Piggy Stu likes this.

13. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    For each of my kids, i sponsor another local kid. They get daily meals and clothing.

it's not a brag, it's just to say that if you want to help someone else, you probably can.

DougM likes this.

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have two cameras.

Omiewise65 likes this.

15. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I actually give a lot of money to St. Jude's, 'cause precious little angels shouldn't have to fight cancer.

16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Yes Doug, you came to the right place to stop GAS. :lol:
    I can say this though. It doesn't really ever stop because now that you've jumped in, there is always that unobtainium, special item that intrigues you. If it comes your way, it'll drive you nuts til you get it.

17. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Only 11 guitars? You need to hit triple digits before an intervention is really necessary. When stacked guitar cases become furniture, you have humidifiers in every room, and you have to move a dozen or so guitars to find a particular one, you may need help.

You are mistaken when you say guitars are expensive in Japan. I keep finding such good deals on guitars here that I’m buying two or three every month. I’m past the intervention stage by my definition, but if it feels good, go ahead and do it I say.

If you still think you have too many, sell some to me.

Omiewise65 likes this.

18. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    Wallhangers are your friends , those with the zombie hands coming out of the wall !
    Got me 4 guitars and one for a good buddy of mine in 2017
    Washburn ES copy , Ovation celebrity 48 something , 2 Harley Benton la cabronita copies (__) and finally a wonderful RIC 330/12 . I'm up to about 20 guitars / cases , 4 amps , now .

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, wall hangers.

20. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's the pics, finally. DSCN0636.JPG Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat, CP 60s Strat DSCN0640.JPG MIJ Fernandes LE2s DSCN0638.JPG Squier VM STrat, Affinity Strat DSCN0639.JPG MIM Fender Hendrix Strat, Squier CVC Tele DSCN0614.JPG EPI ES339 DSCN0626.JPG MIM Fender Duo Sonic DSCN0645.JPG EPI LP Custom DSCN0641.JPG Vox VXII, Fender Mustang GT40, Mustang 1 V2 DSCN0642.JPG LIne 6 Pocket Pod Express, Caline Pegasus, Mosky Crazy Tone, Mosky Obsessive, Tone Bakery Crème Brulee, Mosky B-Box, Digitech Jamman Solo XT DSCN0644.JPG Zoom 505 V1, Digitech RP50, Line 6 Pocket Pod Express, Korg Pandora V1

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    moosie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.